Worth it or not?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Archduk3, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Archduk3 macrumors member

Hi there,

I have been googling this quite a lot but have gotten no straight answer due to a lot of reasons.

I have a powerbook 6,2 12" with 768 in RAM as a fairly portable notebook. I've been thinking investing in a new one, but this one still works. Or well.

The old harddrive was a 5400 RPM, now I have 7200RPM, that used to be able to run HD material without any problem in leopard.

Now recently it has gone real bad I guess, youtube stutters and many other apps are real slow.

So I have been considering upgrading the hardrive to a ATA SSD from macsales, the 40gigabyte.

But what I am asking myself, will I see a performance difference? Will it help or mess up my battery life? And if possible, can I run Tiger on it?

//C

2. simsaladimbamba

You can upgrade the RAM to 1.25 GB RAM (768 MB RAM is the minimum for Leopard) and you can run Mac OS X 10.3 Panther, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger and Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard on it, it originally came with 10.2.7.
    With an SSD you will see a performance difference, as the Mac reacts faster to user input, which needs access to the storage device, and as random access to the HDD is much, much, much slower than random access to the SSD, it is an improvement.

As YouTube uses Flash to display its videos and Flash is not supporting older hardware architectures, YT stutters. Thus you either can use ClickToFlash or the HTML5 beta of YT to watch YT content or have a look at MacTubes.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads:
    [​IMG]

3. Archduk3 thread starter macrumors member

So basically a RAM and a SSD would do a big difference?

//C

4. simsaladimbamba

SSD big difference, RAM okay difference.

5. Archduk3 thread starter macrumors member

Together it would feel like a new mac?

//C

6. simsaladimbamba

With a clean install, yes.

7. Archduk3 thread starter macrumors member

Of course.

Not to make the thread too off-topic. But does leopard support TRIM with ssd?

//C

8. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

I don't think that Leopard will Support TRIM for an IDE SSD. AFAIK TRIM is a drive dependent thing, and with everything about some of the Macbook Air's not supporting trim, i feel like it would be unlikely that TRIM would be supported.

Go for it, and keep using your computer for as long as you can :)

9. Archduk3 thread starter macrumors member

The downside is that in theory, after some years my ssd would be screwed? :D

10. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

Yeah pretty much.. hah, I wouldn't worry about it too much though, Unless the SSD is hella expensive, or you plan in using it in another computer? Which i doubt as well as everything is SATA now :)

11. Archduk3 thread starter macrumors member

184 dollars for ram and ssd, for a computer mainly used for internet, typing and maybe now even lighter Photoshop or FCP work.

//C

12. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

That isn't too bad, i'd go for it if i was you :)

13. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

512 is the minimum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Leopard#System_requirements

i run leopard with 512 on my 12" pb 1.5GHz and it runs fine...

unless your in love with your powerbook spending $184 might be more wisely put towards a macbook...(184 + your pb est 120-150=$300+ towards macbook)

14. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

thats my reaction too..

15. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

I'd say buy the ram first, it is the cheapest part, if it is ok for you don't spend money on a ssd.
    If it still isn't ok, do a clean install...it is ok?not?so go to ssd.
    I think SSD is too much money for a powerbook, it may be a good upgrade,but if you don't have the ram it is from my point of view kinda stupid to buy it...
    You can always check the FAQ on my sig, it has some tips about making your powerbook faster (software tweaks,etc).

16. Archduk3, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012

Archduk3 thread starter macrumors member

I just ordered the things anyways. Because A, I am at bit sentimental. B, the superdrive is broken and I live in Hong Kong, getting anything more than 50 USD for a used computer would be amazing.

There are old black macbooks here for 3200 hkd but still, I dont have that cash inbetween and rather spend half to make something work.

Also, funny story. The store I bought the harddrive from said it was a 7200rpm but after some checking, it is a 5400 rpm. So I reckon I will see huge improvements.

//C

17. Archduk3 thread starter macrumors member

Please don't kill me for doublepost, this is a different followup question.

Since my superdrive is done for. Can I in theory switch it out for my hardrive that is the main one at the moment. And by doing so, have two hardrives running in it?

//C

18. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

Yes, that is a common mod in macbooks/macbook pros.
    Ebay is your friend =)

19. Archduk3 thread starter macrumors member

Wait so the superdrive attachment is not IDE?

20. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

Yes they are.I just said that the mod is common, I didn't say that the attachment is equal.

21. Archduk3 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, after a quick google check I found that I just need a way to make it stick.

No more stupid questions.

Thanks everyone for the help. :)

22. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

look at this one, maybe you need some diy, but maybe not..for the price it worth a try.
    Check with mactracker app what kind of connection does your powerbook have on the optical drive...sometimes ebayers don't have right info.
    I bought one of this (but with special fixations for macbook) + usb optical drive case for less than 30eur shipping included.