Worth it to avoid the glass?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mikethebigo, Oct 23, 2010.

1. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Hey guys,

I just got back from checking out the new MBAs at the Apple Store. I know that there are a lot of discussions about the power and capability of the system, and the sacrifices made for its thinness. My thing is that I need a 13 inch or smaller system because I commute with it every day, but I absolutely hate the glass screens on the MBP. Has anyone else noticed that the glossy but not glassy display on the MBAs is actually much better with reflections? I think that alone may be enough of a reason to switch from a MBP to a MBA.

2. bouncer1 macrumors 6502

For sure, don't even think about it. Go for the air!

Same reason I 've never bought a mbp 13".

3. patrixl macrumors regular

Yup, I thought the same about the non-glass screen on the 13" Macbook, and it's the same reason I got an anti-glare screen on my 15" MBP. Haven't seen the Air in store yet, but it sounds attractive to me as it is, more now that I read your post about the lack of glass on the screen.

4. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

Indeed, the glass add a lot more reflections. Without the glass you'll still see reflections, but a lot less and by turning up the brightness and changing the angle a bit, it's usually very easy to focus on the screen and you won't even notice the glare anymore.

5. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

It's definitely worth it.

I had a non-unibody Pro back in the day, and it's glossy screen was great. I moved to a unibody pro and the glass was unbearable. I'm looking forward to going back to the Air's glossy-but-non-glass display.

6. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I've never thought of my current glass screen (see sig) as unbearable or bad. I plan on getting an MBA when i sell this in a couple days, it'll be cool if its much better because I do see reflections sometimes, but it's not really too bad.

7. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Or you can actually turn the backlight off with enough light. It reminds me of a passive colour matrix display which is satisfactory for reading