Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simplymuzik3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
Currently my powermac g5 dual 1.8 has 1GB RAM. When using it, everything feels pretty snappy, only some programs take a while to load(xcode, photoshop etc). Even when I have a few heavy duty programs open(safari, itunes, photoshop,xcode, interface builder, adium +more) my computer handles them all good and there is no lag. Do you think i should buy 2 more gigs of ram for my computer. It would cost me 90$ CAD. That would bring my total up to 3GB. Or should I buy 1 more GB(2 x512)? I have the model with 4 ram slots, and 2 of them are already used up. So what do you think? Should I buy 2 more gigs (90$), 1 gig(50$), or just buy nothing and keep it at 1GB stock. Btw im going to be using this computer for as long as it lasts, so hopefully 3+ more years. Its mainly used for xcode, safari, itunes, and photoshop. Thanks.

cmturner2

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
Apex, NC
I think you've answered your own question.

If you plan to keep the machine for another 3 years, then put in the RAM.

That being said, PPC is a dead end, as much as we may wish it wasn't - so you need consider the availability of patches, software, etc. as it declines to nothing in the future.

Will you be keeping the machine long enough to recoup the $90 investment? Most likely. But if you are going to bail to an Intel machine sooner rather than later - you probably want to save that $90 and put it towards your new baby.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I think you've answered your own question.

If you plan to keep the machine for another 3 years, then put in the RAM.

That being said, PPC is a dead end, as much as we may wish it wasn't - so you need consider the availability of patches, software, etc. as it declines to nothing in the future.

Will you be keeping the machine long enough to recoup the $90 investment? Most likely. But if you are going to bail to an Intel machine sooner rather than later - you probably want to save that $90 and put it towards your new baby.

3 years to justify the expense of $90?? We must be in a recession. Unless you plan on buying an newer intel machine I say go for it. Time is $$

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
More ram is generally always beneficial. When buying ram, buy pretty much as much as you can afford and are willing to spend. Of course, if you don't use intensive programs, you likely won't see much benefit in going over 4 gb of ram, but I would definitely buy the 2 extra gb. You will definitely notice performance improvements.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Within reason, I think the general rule is that you have to double the RAM size to make a real-world noticeable difference i performance. You will notice when yo go from 1 to 2 and 2 to 4. But not notice is you bump it by less than a factor of two. You stop watch might notice but not you.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
What does your mac say about it?

Does activity monitor show that your using all of the 1 gig? Is it showing page outs? If so, absolutely buy the ram.

If you plan on using your PM for another year or two it is worth it to buy the ram. If you wait too long you may find that the price on the ram may start going up instead of down as fewer places will manufacture it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.