Worth it to buy 2GB RAM for PowerMac G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by simplymuzik3, Mar 9, 2009.

1. simplymuzik3 macrumors 6502a

Currently my powermac g5 dual 1.8 has 1GB RAM. When using it, everything feels pretty snappy, only some programs take a while to load(xcode, photoshop etc). Even when I have a few heavy duty programs open(safari, itunes, photoshop,xcode, interface builder, adium +more) my computer handles them all good and there is no lag. Do you think i should buy 2 more gigs of ram for my computer. It would cost me 90$ CAD. That would bring my total up to 3GB. Or should I buy 1 more GB(2 x512)? I have the model with 4 ram slots, and 2 of them are already used up. So what do you think? Should I buy 2 more gigs (90$), 1 gig(50$), or just buy nothing and keep it at 1GB stock. Btw im going to be using this computer for as long as it lasts, so hopefully 3+ more years. Its mainly used for xcode, safari, itunes, and photoshop. Thanks.

2. cmturner2 macrumors member

cmturner2

I think you've answered your own question.

If you plan to keep the machine for another 3 years, then put in the RAM.

That being said, PPC is a dead end, as much as we may wish it wasn't - so you need consider the availability of patches, software, etc. as it declines to nothing in the future.

Will you be keeping the machine long enough to recoup the $90 investment? Most likely. But if you are going to bail to an Intel machine sooner rather than later - you probably want to save that $90 and put it towards your new baby.

3. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

3 years to justify the expense of $90?? We must be in a recession. Unless you plan on buying an newer intel machine I say go for it. Time is $$

4. 11800506 macrumors 65816

More ram is generally always beneficial. When buying ram, buy pretty much as much as you can afford and are willing to spend. Of course, if you don't use intensive programs, you likely won't see much benefit in going over 4 gb of ram, but I would definitely buy the 2 extra gb. You will definitely notice performance improvements.

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Yes, add an additional 2GB of RAM to your Power Mac G5 - I am sure you will notice the difference simplymuzik3. :)

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

Within reason, I think the general rule is that you have to double the RAM size to make a real-world noticeable difference i performance. You will notice when yo go from 1 to 2 and 2 to 4. But not notice is you bump it by less than a factor of two. You stop watch might notice but not you.

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

What does your mac say about it?

Does activity monitor show that your using all of the 1 gig? Is it showing page outs? If so, absolutely buy the ram.

If you plan on using your PM for another year or two it is worth it to buy the ram. If you wait too long you may find that the price on the ram may start going up instead of down as fewer places will manufacture it.