iPhone X Worth it to buy iPhone X now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mk481, Sep 22, 2018.

1. mk481 macrumors newbie

There's a discount for the iPhone X at AT&T/Verizon/etc, and the new XS/XS Max seem too flashy and overpriced.

I'm loving the full screen and lack of a home button (I'm coming from Blackberry), so the X seems to have everything I need -- but is it worth buying now as Apple phases them out?

2. MrAperture macrumors regular

MrAperture

The XS is easily worth the extra $100. Extra ram, better camera, better speakers, better battery life and better resale value down the road since newer model.

3. ssl0408 macrumors 65816

It’s only $100 cheaper than the XS, so the better buy would be the XS.

4. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

5. MatthewUT44 macrumors newbie

It has the same camera

6. white4s macrumors 65816

7. praterkeith macrumors 6502

praterkeith

If there was a $300 price difference between the X and XS, then I’d say get the X. But at their current prices, the XS is the better buy.

8. chanerz macrumors 6502a

9. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

Apple has discontinued the X. Buy the Xs since the difference in price is only a $100.00.

10. MrAperture macrumors regular

MrAperture

It has a bigger sensor. And smart HDR.

11. Azathoth123 macrumors regular

The XS camera is completely different from the X.

12. Raist3001 macrumors 6502a

Raist3001

The XS is a marginal improvement over the X in my opinion. It is expected that apples newest phone will have better processors, better camera, and better display. However, in my opinion, there is just not enough to warrant an upgrade from the already fantastic X. Pictures taken on my X are hardly inferior to those taken on the Xs. Yes, smart HDR is nice but I can get a similar effect in a photo edit app.

However, with that said, a hundred dollars difference should not be a deal breaker. Clearly the Xs would be the smarter buy for a first time purchase.

13. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

I bought a 256GB refurb X on eBay for $800, which included a year of AppleCare. As a new XS with AppleCare would have been $1,350+tax, I felt that was a reasonable deal. I would agree that a $100 difference is not enough of a saving to justify settling for an X.

14. KOTN91 macrumors member

Seeing as there’s no difference between the X and the XS, apart from that MIMO garbage, then might as well get the X

Better yet, get a 6 or 7 and spend the money saved on something more fun

15. aakshey macrumors 6502a

aakshey

In India during sales the XS costs 40-50% more than X. Other times it costs about 15-25% more than the X.

16. IowaLynn macrumors 65816

IowaLynn

Refurbished 8's are up on Apple Store.

X tried and mature. Been fine.

17. DCnDC macrumors newbie

DCnDC

We pretty much did the same. Fiancé was in dire need of a new phone and he doesn't have to have the newest, so picked him up a new, unopened 256gb X on Swappa for $740. Felt it was a decent deal for a phone he'll keep for a few years.

18. Rangers94 macrumors 6502

Rangers94

Totally worth it! Still a great phone. $100 is $100. Latest and greatest is not that important to everyone and every dollar saved can be important.

19. mac4good84 macrumors regular

So I took the plunge and got an iPhone X. My wife's iPhone 6s silence button wasn't working anymore and being 3 years old, it was time to replace it. She decided to take my iPhone 7 so I would get the upgrade and went for the X. We swapped devices then traded in the 6s. I thought about the Xs but being $100 more and what it offers over the X, I decided the X would be more than sufficient. And we just bought it outright too since we don't want to lease with the carrier anymore (we ended up saving $350).

My two favorite phones overall were the iPhone 5 and then the 7, and I LOVED the 7. When the X came out last year, I wasn't convinced to upgrade as I was more than happy with my 7. Plus, we really wanted to make our phones last 3 plus years unless an issue came up and sure enough the silence button issue came up. I've only had the X now for about 15 hours but with the time I've spent with it, boy is it an awesome phone. I've got the Silver version, and its just so slick-looking. I've played with this in the store before a few times, but nothing does it justice until you actually use it in real-world use. This looks like a premium built phone and when you hold it, you feel like you're holding a slick piece of tech. The look in general made me feel how I felt with the iPhone 5, just love it. Another thing I was very wrong about? Face ID. Wow it really just works. I know its been a year now, but every time I use it the phone just unlocks and I have not had any issues with it. I loved TOUCH ID for so long that I felt it was something where I was going to use it until they didn't offer it period, but the transition to FACE ID for me has been a cinch, it really has. I'll post back after I've had ample time with this of course, but I really do feel like I won't miss a beat switching over.

The gestures are simple enough to use. I don't even miss the home button anymore in such a short time. Again, I've tested this in the store many times, but initially I was skeptical about not having it. Swiping up feels more natural now and I haven't had any trouble. Going through settings and everything, the learning curve is minimal and I appreciated that. Will be interesting to see how it works when I use Apple Pay on here once I get my card on, but so far color me impressed. The screen is gorgeous to look at. One of the things I wanted was the True Tone Display and I'm happy that I now have that tech with this phone. The OLED display is crisp, colors are gorgeous and the blacks are rich and deep and the shift you get when you move the display really doesn't bother me in terms of initial impressions.

I'll post back when I've had more time and day to day use on this thing, but for an initial reaction is I'm very impressed moving from a 7.

20. stafil macrumors 6502

The fact that Apple stopped selling them is a pretty good indicator that it's a good deal to buy X at a discount vs XS

21. killhippie macrumors regular

killhippie

Really, have you not actually read anything about the XS? If you have an X no need to upgrade, if not its the smart move yes it has new features, a better camera, smart HDR bigger camera sensor, larger battery more ram, a more powerful CPU and graphics, and that 'Mimo garbage' makes a difference if you have a router that uses it and more than one Mimo device. Tech specs are available in many languages, even Luddite I believe...

22. karmatourer macrumors 65816

karmatourer

Spend the $100 for all the reasons mentioned AND 1 more year of IOS updates.