Worth it to buy rMPB now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by silverserpent, Oct 24, 2013.

1. silverserpent macrumors newbie

I own a 2012 cMBP 15", I had hoped to buy the retina version but since it was about $400 dollars more I didn't think it was worth it. I have since upgraded the 500gb hard drive to a 256gb ssd and had planned on upgrading the ram from 4 to 8gb in the near future. I use my laptop for a lot of web design work, graphic design, and 3d rendering. My main question is: will the cMBP's resale value depreciate quicker than usual because it is now a discontinued model? In other words, am I better of selling it now and buying a rMBP of waiting a year or two before purchasing one? Also, if you think I should sell it, can you give a price you think is fair? 15" late 2012, 2.3ghz i7, 4gb ram, 256gb samsung 840 pro ssd with stock 500gb hard drive included. Thanks!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I believe you'll get more of a return if you sell now while it is still considered a fairly new machine.

3. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

Although discontinued, your model is now in the same place as the 17" cMBP - gone, but desirable. It lacks the retina screen but has an Ethernet port, Kensington slot, optical drive (which can be replaced with a second HDD) and most importantly, its RAM and storage are user upgradable. These are important for many people, and none of these features are likely to ever appear on the retinal laptops. Once Apple runs out of the refurbished units, used market will be the only place to get a machine like that.

If you want the retina and can afford it, go for it, but I don't think the resale value of your laptop is going to drop any faster than it usually does.

4. silverserpent thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. I haven't made a decision yet on what I will do, but I am wondering if anybody has advice on the Iris Pro graphics. Are they good enough for a little light gaming or should I spring for the dedicated card?