worth it to by snow leopard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sailor720, Aug 25, 2009.

1. sailor720 macrumors newbie

I have a late 2007 macbook with leopard that I plan on upgrading for a new mbp 15" in a few months when some matte systems hit refurb, and selling the macbook. For my usage I dont think snow leopard wil be worth it, but will it make my machine easier to sell and pay for itself that way?
    thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's just 29$, I would say, go for it. SL is basically rewrote Leopard with few new features but I think it's still worth the 29$

3. djourd macrumors member

Well, the upgrade is only $30 rather than $130. I would go for the upgrade.

4. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

For $29 it's definitely worth the upgrade, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain, pick it up!

5. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

It's worth $29 (or $10, since I recently bought a new mac), but I don't think you need to rush to install it. Leopard is pretty darn solid and there isn't much reason to suffer the early adopter pains while Apple works out the bugs and 3rd party devs fix the compatibility issues.

6. MTI macrumors 65816

I agree, let the "lemmings" do the final beta testing on the SL release since Apple isn't going to raise the price on the upgrade disc anytime soon. Of course, if you really want the "Restore" command from the Trash basket this weeked, then it's a must have to rush down to the Apple Store and snag a copy. ;)

7. sailor720 thread starter macrumors newbie

so looking at the apple site, theres nothing worth $30 to me in snow leopard for the 2-3 months i would be using it.
    my real question which everyone has ignored, is will it be easier to sell my macbook in a few months when i upgrade if i get snow leopard, my sense is it will not make a difference

8. creon macrumors 6502

It wouldn't hurt but I'm sure it the deciding factor of the buyer will not be if it has SL or not.

Will you make of the loss of the 30 dollars? If i were you i would skip the upgrade and sell it as is. No need to spend the money on it and if someone asks about it tell them they can upgrade for only 30 bucks.

9. creon macrumors 6502

Have you even read about the upgrade? I guess us "lemmings" will be enjoying our 64 bit kernal, the open CL, grand central dispatch, quicktime X, and more hard drive space. Oh yea, and the "restore" command from the Trash.

Maybe you sir are a lemming of the ignorant.

10. MTI macrumors 65816

How's the saying go . . . those that fail to learn from history are doomed to . . . well, I think you know the rest.

Like it or not, early buyers of new hardware or software are the penultimate "guinea pigs" of the computer industry. We'll soon find out what software and hardware does and doesn't work well, or at all, with the new OS. If you look carefully, you might notice that most, if not all, IT savy folks do sit on the sidelines and monitor forums like this before making any purchasing decisions.

So, thanks for being a sport and I honestly hope it all goes well.

11. creon macrumors 6502

Oh it will go well. The reason I am sure that there will be no need to "sit on the sidelines" is because this OS is a build from a solid OS that has been running perfectly.

I, on the other hand, would be one of the many "IT SAVVY folks" if this would be a completely different build. But, thankfully, it is not. So, this Friday I will be enjoying, with confidence, a OS that has stood the test of time that will be receiving a much needed speed upgrade.

We will welcome you when you do decide to make that choice, but sadly, you could of been enjoying it much earlier.

12. Kat King123 macrumors regular

Kat King123

well i mean its more of a question of why not? i mean who doesn't have 30 bucks? compare this to windows 7 which is pretty much vista with a bigger task bar and rewritten as well, but for 6 times more.

13. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Every used Mac buyer wants the latest and greatest. Not saying it is reasonable, but in my experience they want the latest OS and other software as well. So if you want to sell fast and for top dollar, include the latest OS.

14. silentnite macrumors 6502a

silentnite

worth it to by snow leopard

Yes, definitely upgrade If you can. I have a friend who just sold his Macbook for $100 more because he threw in the upgrade.

Everyone likes the groundwork done for them. I guess it makes you feel like your getting more for your money. So yeah it can't hurt. Good luck with it.:)

15. BayouBengal macrumors regular