worth it to convert 128kbps aac to itunes plus?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by joshwithachance, Dec 20, 2009.

1. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

well i recently converted everything to 128 aac and if i convert those to 256 is there any quality gain?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you convert an existing compressed audio file you have to a higher bitrate, no, there's no improvement in audio quality. If you put the CD back in your computer and rip at a higher bitrate, yes, there is an improvement in quality.

3. joshwithachance thread starter macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

that's what i thought lol, just wanted to make sure. id rather not because i dont want to lose my play counts aha.

4. lostless macrumors 6502

Converting 128kb/s aac to 256kb/s will result in lower quality than the 128kb/s aac.

5. TestaOn macrumors newbie

Josh,

I'm pretty sure you can re-import at a higher bit rate without losing your play counts. Try it with a CD that has only a couple of plays. But make sure the album titles and song titles, etc. are exactly the same on the CD as in your library before clicking IMPORT.

If that info is the same, iTunes will ask you if you would like to replace the songs. Click yes and the play count and playlist info should remain intact.