Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asidexo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
yes, another of these threads, sorry

I have a 2012 cmbp with i7 processor that I've had for 4 years now. It was starting to run very slowly and I think it may be the drive because even as old as it is the i7 and 8 gigs of ram should be sufficient since I mostly use it for web browsing, paper writing, and movie watching (though I am a multitasked) along with some light photoshop work, typical college student stuff. The laptop was running quite slow, mostly when opening applications but the real problem is that it took 20-30 minutes to power up. To make matters worse, I left my slightly leaky water bottle next to my bag on the bus and the guy sitting next to must have accidentally knocked it into my bag because my laptop ended up with water damage (which was odd because I saw no water in the bag and none of my papers were wet, but ok). There is now some slight water damage at the bottom of the screen which I've come to live with but the battery is completely toast. Having to turn off my laptop overtime I need to move it is impractical for a computer that takes so long to turn on. I'm definitely not going to spend the $750 dollars apple wants to fix it but I was wondering if there were other options that might be worth it or if it's not worth it. I was going to use this as an excuse to get a new laptop since the old one was getting aggravatingly slow anyway, but I was waiting for the new MBP's but I kind of need a slightly more functional computer by the time school starts up again at the end of august and it doesn't seem like they

Is it worth tying to fix or should I just replace it? How much would it cost/where would be the best place to get the parts?

If I upgraded to an sad would that help with the slow start up problem? could i stick the current hard drive where the optical drive is for added storage?

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
Before I read the water damage part, I was going to say your hard drive is about to die. So definitely an SSD would help the speed situation. I still use a 2012 cMBP (2.3/16GB/1TB Samsung PRO SSD). it runs super fast. It takes 12 seconds to boot up from the chime.

As for the water, I'd say open it up and dry it out.

I wouldn't spend $750 on it because you can buy a used one for less than that.

asidexo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
I should have mentioned this happened a little while ago and at first I was just going to replace it. Besides the small spot on the screen and the battery there appears to be no lasting damage from the water, the harddrive runs as badly as it did before. I don't really understand the different SSDs having never used them, what would be the right one to get for this laptop?

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
It's either a bad hard drive or a bad hard drive cable.

Take it to a third party shop (i.e. not Apple) and it should be able to figure out which one is at fault.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
I should have mentioned this happened a little while ago and at first I was just going to replace it. Besides the small spot on the screen and the battery there appears to be no lasting damage from the water, the harddrive runs as badly as it did before. I don't really understand the different SSDs having never used them, what would be the right one to get for this laptop?
You can get a replacement battery from Apple or eBay. If you don't want to spend a lot, they can probably be had from eBay from $30 and up.

There's a big range of SSDs. They all do the same thing. They just have different kinds of memory chips and speeds. I find even the cheaper ones are pretty fast. I have a Samsung 850 Pro in my main machine. I also have a 13" with a Corsair Force LE SSD. They're both pretty fast. Any SATA SSD will work in your MBP.

asidexo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
You can get a replacement battery from Apple or eBay. If you don't want to spend a lot, they can probably be had from eBay from $30 and up.

There's a big range of SSDs. They all do the same thing. They just have different kinds of memory chips and speeds. I find even the cheaper ones are pretty fast. I have a Samsung 850 Pro in my main machine. I also have a 13" with a Corsair Force LE SSD. They're both pretty fast. Any SATA SSD will work in your MBP.

Can ones off eBay be trusted?

BallparkDreamer

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2015
I'd just bite the bullet and have Apple install the battery for you.

In terms of SSDs...I also have a 2012 cMBP, and put an SSD in it a couple weeks ago. The thing flies! Definitely recommend it.

asidexo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
I'd just bite the bullet and have Apple install the battery for you.

In terms of SSDs...I also have a 2012 cMBP, and put an SSD in it a couple weeks ago. The thing flies! Definitely recommend it.
I can try bringing it in again but I think they said they wouldn't do it because of the other damage.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
Depends on how good you are at repairing electronics. A new battery costs anywhere from $30-100, depending on who you go with. I've seen some good reviews for Anker battery on Amazon, but it's on the more expensive side.

For the drive, you can get a ~250GB SSD for $60-$90, and a ~500GB for around $100-$160. This depends on brand, and type of memory that they use (TLC, MLC, etc.). I'd recommend the Samsung 850 EVO drive. The speed increase will be noticed instantly. It has fast read/write speeds, and low delay.

The screen can be purchased for around $100-130 as well.

Screwdrivers are probably $15 or less if you buy the screwdriver repair set. Batteries sometimes include them as well.

There are lots of instructions on YouTube and IFixIt website for 2010-2012 MacBook Pro repairs which tell you how to do it, and what tools are needed.

From what you've mentioned, I don't really know if you actually got water damage, or if the screen was simply bumped into, and the LCD got some impression on it from stress. You'd probably have to take the system apart to determine if there was actual water damage, and if anything else was damaged.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.