Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2011
I have an water damaged/dead iPhone 5 that I can replace at the Apple for about 290 after tax. Worth it? I can get it unlocked and I do a lot of international traveling and the 4 I used to use is breaking down. Seems like used ones are going for 300+ on craiglists.

Or should I look into other options ? I'd like to keep in the apple ecosystem so not really interests in a low cost Android, however maybe for the right price. Thoughts ? Also would the Apple replacement be new?

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I have an water damaged/dead iPhone 5 that I can replace at the Apple for about 290 after tax. Worth it? I can get it unlocked and I do a lot of international traveling and the 4 I used to use is breaking down. Seems like used ones are going for 300+ on craiglists.

Or should I look into other options ? I'd like to keep in the apple ecosystem so not really interests in a low cost Android, however maybe for the right price. Thoughts ? Also would the Apple replacement be new?

I'm not sure how "worth it" it is, but the replacement will probably be refurbished. The iPhone 5 was only in production for one year before it was discontinued and replaced by the 5c. A refurbished replacement can be good though since the case is new, and the internals have been checked.

In the other hand you can get an iPhone 5s for $99 with a new contract. If you get it on Verizon, it's factory unlocked and you just have to switch out the SIM card when you travel.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
I do a lot of international traveling and the 4 I used to use is breaking down. Seems like used ones are going for 300+ on craiglists.
Check swappa.

http://swappa.com/buy/apple-iphone-5-unlocked/us

Do you have an upgrade available or are you not willing to go on contract?

----------

In the other hand you can get an iPhone 5s for $99 with a new contract. If you get it on Verizon, it's factory unlocked and you just have to switch out the SIM card when you travel.
Is OP on Verizon?

wolfaaron

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2012
If you want to get yourself into a contract you can do what has already been suggested and get a 5s from Verizon for $99 down.

If you are considering an Android look at the One Plus One phones. They're very affordable and they have similar specs to $600 phones.

If you don't like getting into overpriced contracts the iPhone 5 is still worth it. I had a 4s and it was still working like new so the 5 should be even better.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011

You can get a used iPhone 5 on Craigslist for about $200. Heck I bought a mint 5S last night for $325. I would go that route.

What is the exact price on the refurb, $249 plus tax? Is it 16 or 32gb?

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Is OP on Verizon?

I don't think they said, but they did say something about needing it unlocked for traveling. Getting a 5s on Verizon makes it easy.

If they get a 5, they will want to make sure it's Verizon or unlocked GSM (AT&T or T-Mobile). I suppose Sprint would work too if they only need it unlocked for international, but I'm not sure I would recommend that anyone get on Sprint.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40085090335...49&var=670403378050&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I just got one in Blue. 16 GB is not bad. I plan on using it as a backup phone.

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
iPhone 5 is approaching its end. iOS 9 will be the last update, probably. If you can, but an iPhone 6 (or at least a 5s, but I recommend the latest model).

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I'd recommend iPhone 5C, minimum.

Although iPhone 5S and newer are recommended.

I would not bother with an iPhone 5 or older.

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
You could probably get the 5s used for the same price or slightly more, and it's a huge upgrade from the 5 internally. The 5s is also likely to get two more iOS updates, whereas the 5 would only get one more if Apple sticks to the upgrade eligibility they've had for past devices.

I definitely wouldn't be considering an iPhone 5 at close to $300.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.