Worth it to Keep?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by theturtle, Mar 13, 2011.

1. theturtle macrumors 6502a

In a total 180, Im questioning my iPad purchase. After the iPad high wore off, im stuck thinking if i really need it. I made a pros and cons list but it really didn't help in the end.

its just, the only thing that ipad has over the iphone 4 is the bigger screen (which equals a better browsing experience) and the issue is, I only go to about 6 sites everyday (with macrumors being one lol) so internet isn't really high up for me.

the pros i made were that its easier to carry, better battery than my mbp, just overall more convenient.

i should mention, i had the first ipad and i ended up selling it because i felt as if it wasn't worth it. i hoped the ipad 2 would leave me satisfied but yeah, not so much.

im not here to bash the ipad, i was just wondering if anybody else felt this way. i REALLY want to love the ipad in general and use it, but i don't see what it could offer me. is the 500 price tag justified for something you use only on the couch or in the bed? god im in a pickle.

2. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

This is exactly how I felt.

I bought the iPad 1 to try it and feel the same way, I am hoping that the iPad 2 is better, but what I really want to see is the iPhone 5 and it's A5.

I really dont need the new iPad now. After thinking it over, the only reason I would want it, is for a bigger screen.. That's it..

My final choice is to wait for the iPhone 5 and upgrade to it because I know the A5 inside it will be insanely beast.

3. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

If you have to justify to keep it it's not of great use to you and you should just return it. For me I use mine exclusively for almost everything except for typing up long papers. While the iPad is great, it isn't made for everyone.

4. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

the way I see it, the easiest way to decide is:

can you comfortably afford to keep the iPad? If yes, keep it. You never know what you'll end up using it for

If, however, you had to choose the iPad over something else, and find yourself wishing you hadn't chosen the iPad, then return it

5. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

Guess you have to figure out what is important to you. I will be getting an iPad to use around the house, and take with me if I go on vacation or business trip. I used to think it was an 'either or' with the iPad and iPod Touch. Now I think its a 'both'.

I use my iPod Shuffle when I'm working out. There is no substitute for the size. I still don't know how so many exercise with a giant iPod on their arm.

Then for traveling in my car on the road, I use my iPod Touch. It's really easy to grab while driving and change playlists. Its also great to carry in my pocket if I want to play a game to kick off some time during the day or very convenient on a plane. The shuffle is no good in this situation, as I can't see what's playing.

My iPad will be used mostly around the house. I can't stand being locked to my iMac in the evenings upstairs if I want to get online, especially if everyone is downstairs watching TV, etc. Surfing on the iPod Touch sucks as the screen is too small to look at for long periods of time.

So anyway, I used to sell one thing to get the other, but each one has its own use if you have a desire to be connected to your music, videos, and internet every second of every day like myself.

6. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

nicely put.

i can comfortably afford it, no doubt about it, but im one of those stingy people who likes to have alot of "mess around" money. I think the constant buying and selling phones have me in that state where im not sure if i'll be happy with anything (like i am with the iphone 4, NEVER contemplated selling or returning).

but yeah, i agree on the "you never know what you'll end up using it for". Its just I feel like im thinking in terms of instant gratification of the 500 refund instead of thinking long term.

i duno, i love the ipad but i wasn't blown away. the retina display talk, blah, blah, blah. im just confused right now lol.

7. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Same boat. My macbook is in my room so i get confined to my room alot while the family is watching TV. while the iphone 4's screen is breathtaking, its just too small to browse the web. in those times i do use the internet, the ipad is def alot more convenient.

8. DS3 macrumors 6502a

One thing I'd do is do some research into all the productivity, media, pc/mac connected apps that have been released.

Out of the box the iPad would be a complete luxury item to me, but loaded with apps its a great asset. I do a lot of stuff that lends itself to a touchscreen so it may be the same at all for you.. but just making sure you've really looked into everything you can do with it.

9. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

hate to do it but i decided to return it. the ipad just doesnt get enough use to justify its cost. :/

i loved the build and everything about it. i guess its not meant to be :(