Worth it to purchase a new logic board?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrcarson2, Jan 27, 2010.

1. mrcarson2 macrumors newbie

I have a 1st gen macbook pro (core duo 2.0) and I have been experiencing the common radeon x1600 graphics issues. It is somewhat usable if I keep the fan speeds up using smcfancontrol but still has artifacts on the screen and the whole computer will lock up every hour or so. I have been thinking of getting a new logic board from apple, since it is out of warranty I was thinking of purchasing it outright for $429. I can install it myself (I already replaced the thermal paste on the processor/gpu). Does anyone think that it is worth the money to fix or should I just sell it as is? I was looking at some MBP's on eBay that went for around $500-600 and some seemed to have the same issues as mine. Also I am worried that Apple is just selling these logic boards that still will be susceptible to the same issues that mine has, that they never addressed the problems with it. I certainly don't want the same thing to happen again to the new board.

2. Ralzy macrumors member

3. seanconn macrumors member

sell sell sell sell sell.

you can probably get 600 for it, and for someone who does not need to play games at all, it is a complete non issue.

then buy a new 13" mbp - problem solved. and you have another year of warranty