Worth it to replace hard drive again?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MacNewbie03, Apr 3, 2014.

1. MacNewbie03 macrumors regular

MacNewbie03

My iMac a first generation Aluminum from 2007. About a year ago the hard drive died so I replaced it with a Segate Barracuda 500 GB drive. Yesterday I tried to install Mavericks, but the install failed because it didn't pass the S.M.A.R.T test, indicating the drive is failing. Do I even bother replacing the drive again or just keep backing it up with Time Machine until it dies. I've got a 13 inch Macbook Pro coming next week and was thinking of replacing my parents Windows XP machine with the iMac.

2. worldbrain macrumors newbie

Always have a HDD clone

TM is unstable,run repair protocal in disk utility...verify volume/repair disk,then do software updates for mac+partion new drive in external enclosure+run software clone your drive...set start up disk to new drive boot os on external drive, burns docs to disk,flash drives are handy...REDUNDANCY is the key... happiness is having a clone...

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

My advice: First, check the Seagate site to see if your drive is still under warranty. If it is, and it has gone bad (see below), you'll be able to get a replacement for free + shipping, I'm pretty sure. The serial number for the drive is available via System Information.

Once you're all set up with your new MBP, take the Seagate Barracuda 500GB drive out of the iMac and use the XP machine (or any Windows computer) to run SeaTools on it, which will determine if it qualifies as bad. Proceed with the above warranty replacement if you qualify. Even if you decide to get an SSD for the iMac/your parents, you could put the replacement drive in an external housing (~$10) and let your parents use it for backup. If the original drive is OK, the same applies.

Lastly, I'd say get an SSD for the old iMac. I'd bet your parents won't need a large capacity drive so it shouldn't be too costly.

4. jaxhunter macrumors regular

jaxhunter

If you do replace the drive again replace it with a Hitachi or Western Digital. Seagate has a pretty checkered history when it comes to longevity in Macs.

5. MacNewbie03 thread starter macrumors regular

MacNewbie03

If I get it under warranty from Segate, that's what I'll use. :) I tried using the serial and model listed in System Information to see if its got warranty left but the site said the serial number wasn't valid. So I'll take the iMac apart this evening when I get off work to verify the serial number.

But if I have to buy a drive, then I will use WD. I've had good luck over the years with Segate, not so much with WD.

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Sometimes there's an extra or missing digit in the System Information version, unfortunately. No big deal since you're taking it out, anyway.

I still say $70 for a 120GB SSD would breathe some life into that 2007 model. If you change your mind and go with it be sure to format it before you put it in the iMac.

7. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

If your going to give to your parents to replace a xp machine (good idea as xp is no longer supported as of april 8th)...why not put in a nice 128 g ssd (the difference with a ssd on older macs is unreal!) I would rec a nice samsung 840 pro series...then do a clean install of snow leopard (really is best ver of osx for said machine)...yours parents will thank you!

8. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

^^ Seconded on the DON'T get a Seagate (unless you get a free replacement, of course).

^^ Also seconded on the SSD! I have an SSD in my 09 C2D Mini and its very usable.

9. worldbrain macrumors newbie

We'll said

10. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

While i do agree that SL is the best OS, Mavericks is more than fast enough with an SSD, even on older machines. And java compatibility is a long term issue, as I assume that OPs parents will be doing home banking among other things for time to come. Browser compatibility will also be a long term issue. Save the hazzle and go straight for Mavericks.

11. MacNewbie03 thread starter macrumors regular

MacNewbie03

After taking the drive out, I found its still under warranty. The new drive is on its way to me. I will be installing Mavericks. Just need to visit a friend to make the USB installer. This iMac was running Mountain Lion just fine before the drive died, so I don't think Mavericks should be a problem. It might run better with clean install since the iMac had 10.4 when new, then upgraded to 10.5, 10.6 and then 10.8.