Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bedouin

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
I still use my iPhone 4S as a daily driver despite owning an iPhone 6. It’s on its original battery from 2012, which according to coconutBattery has 79.9% of its design capacity left and 1200 some charge cycles.

Given that iOS 9 and modern apps push the old CPU in the 4S pretty hard, thereby resulting in pretty high power consumption regardless, would it be worth replacing the battery?

makinao

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2009
I still use my iPhone 4S as a daily driver despite owning an iPhone 6. It’s on its original battery from 2012, which according to coconutBattery has 79.9% of its design capacity left and 1200 some charge cycles. Given that iOS 9 and modern apps push the old CPU in the 4S pretty hard, thereby resulting in pretty high power consumption regardless, would it be worth replacing the battery?

80% is still pretty good for an 5-year-old 4s. Mine was worse when I sold it earlier this year. If you already have a car charger and power bank to keep you going through the day, I wouldn't yet. But I'd also switch the 6 into the daily driver, and the 4s into backup.

bedouin

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
If you already have a car charger and power bank to keep you going through the day, I wouldn't yet. But I'd also switch the 6 into the daily driver, and the 4s into backup.

I don’t have a car, so my car charger doesn’t get much use. I do have a power bank, but hate carrying extra things in my pocket.

I mainly use public transportation and tend to be in areas that aren’t so wonderful, so only carry the 6 with me when riding in a car or when I know I’ll be using the internet a lot that day. Plus I like the form factor.

Last time I checked the 6 in April it had 97% design capacity and 250 some cycles. Not bad :)

I suspect that replacing the battery would, at best, maybe result in an extra hour of use under heavy conditions. I could be wrong about that though. I’m also a little fearful about getting a dud replacement from one of the dealers where I live.

Minho

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2017
Montreal, Canada
An iPhone 4S battery, even a good quality one is inexpensive and it is very simple to replace it yourself. If you still value the phone, it's a worthwhile investment. Most batteries start misbehaving when they get below ~70% of design capacity.

bedouin

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Every time I go out and come back with 20% battery left just from using Uber and Google Maps I definitely consider replacing it.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Every time I go out and come back with 20% battery left just from using Uber and Google Maps I definitely consider replacing it.

Replace the 4S with an SE. size is similar, resolution is the same, great battery life, most importantly security updates OS/Apps/Browser etc. Features are better as well. Plus lighter in your pocket than the 4S. More cost effective offer the next year or more.

Reactions: addamas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.