Worth it to sell iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by applerocks, Jun 8, 2010.

1. applerocks macrumors regular

Hey guys,

So I am upgrade eligible to buy an iPhone 4 when it comes out, and I'll probably put one on reserve at an Apple Store when we're allowed to do that June 15. Now there's the question of what to do with my iPhone 3G. What do you guys think of these options?

1) Sell it on eBay. Basically, it looks like I could get around $200, which would go most of the way towards buying a new iPhone (I'd throw in a case and a few other things, and it's covered by AppleCare for a couple more months). I don't know if the influx of new iPhone 3Gs will lower prices though.

2) Keep it as a backup/use it in those "risky" situations. Two years is a long time to have a phone, and my iPhone 3G is the first phone I've ever kept for 2 years (normally they break, I break them, or I lose them). I've been lucky with this one, but if my iPhone 4 has a bad drop or a run in with water, I'd be out of luck. If my iPhone 3G were still around, I'd have something decent to fall back on without having to shell out more money for the remainder of my contract. I could also bring it for those times when I'm going to places it might get wet, etc. Then again, my iPhone 3G has been heavily used, so who's to say it won't break in another 6 months?

It comes down to whether or not option 2 is worth $200, I guess, but I'm just looking for some second opinions. Thanks!

2. tallguy macrumors regular

Personally I would just sell it but it seems like you already have option #2 all planned out for yourself.

3. robivy64 macrumors member

Selling the phone will make it a free upgrade, at the very least.

4. MattMK45 macrumors regular

In my opinion I would keep it, like you said as a backup but it depends on your money situation.

5. illiniry macrumors member

illiniry

Don't you need to keep the SIM card to upgrade to the new phone? How do you sell your 3G phone without losing your data and your data plan?

6. CardboardDoom macrumors newbie

The backup option might not work. The 3G uses a SIM card, the 4 uses Micro SIM. So you wouldn't be able to use the SIM card from the 4 in the 3G.

7. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

what are you talking about? he can take his sim card out of his 3g and sell it today if he wants and put his sim in an old razor phone till the new one comes out. he can then buy the new phone but they will give him a new sim cause they are smaller now. this will not affect his data plan in any way at all. but I think he is considering waiting til he has the new one before he sells his old one.

8. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

there is an adapter that you can buy for $6 or $7 to make it fit in the 3g so it will work.

9. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

Wait so I can sell my 3G now and insert my sim card into my gf's old pink razor and not lose my $30 unlimited data plan? (I'm going to spray paint it black... lol)

I thought when you changed phones it would drop the data...? Huh!

Not a problem?

10. illiniry macrumors member

illiniry

So if I keep the SIM card, the buyer of my 3GS phone won't care? What do they do, they get their own SIM card or what?

11. tallguy macrumors regular

Ya they would just pop in the SIM card that they currently have. That's exactly what I did.