worth it to switch from 3g to 3gs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bomo09, Jun 8, 2009.

1. bomo09 macrumors newbie

is it worth it to switch? i bought my 3g when it came out last july. are there any extra features on the new 3gs that would be worth the extra money? att has offered me an early iphone upgrade with a new contract and an $18 upgrade fee. my cost for the 16 gb is $399.

2. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

That's something you have to answer. To some the upgrade is worth it, to others it is not.

3. iFerd macrumors 6502a

Not worth it for me. But as the last poster said, that is for each user to decide, depending on what use the new features will be in your hands and whether they are so important that you are willing to pay for them.

4. Che Castro macrumors 603

can i download the 3.0 update now or do i have to wait until the 17th?

5. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Only you can answer this.

418 dollars for:

Supposedly twice as fast.

Slightly more battery.

1 Extra MP on the Camera

Video, Editing and Auto Focus

Voice Commands

Compass.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I wouldn't upgrade until I was eligible for the lower prices.

7. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Should be interesting to see if Apple does a '2 year' dev cycle going forward to accommodate the 2 year subsidized plans. The first 3G was released last year. An enhanced 3GS was released this year. Will a totally new iphone come out next year to catch all the original 3G people coming off their plan and then an enhanced version the year after?

I'm doubting that we'll see the mass hysteria this time around since most iphone owners bought last year and don't qualify for the subsidy like they did last year. Especially in this economy, an extra $200 is a lot for the new iphone.

8. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

The Compass alone merits the upgrade. :p

I'm still on the line about purchasing the 3GS...

9. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Don't flame me for this...

I think Apple will announce a more substantial iPhone hardware upgrade before Christmas. I know this is against their usual schedule, but I think the reason they held back on a lot of features was because of timing. Given that we are in the middle of a recession, people (average people) aren't going to spend large amounts of money on a new device that has little new to offer. But, during Christmas time, people will spend a lot more money on something, especially something with a lot of new, neat features. 3.0 will give customers and developers a lot of what they've been asking for for free. So in my opinion, I don't think it makes sense to upgrade from the 3G to the 3G S.

10. nfl46 macrumors 603

11. MTI macrumors 65816

Instead of just looking at the device, do the math on how much it would take to make the 3G like the 3GS . . . extended battery pack . . . you probably already have a better camera . . .

You can avoid the lemming reflex and certainly buy some time, so to speak, and swing by a Sprint store to check out the Pre . . . or later on, the coming Androids and Windows Mobile offerings from Asus or Toshiba. ;)

12. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

I'm in the same place upgrade or not. I think I will wait for the update play with that for a while then go from there. :rolleyes:

13. joshellis625 macrumors 6502

joshellis625

Definitely not worth it for me. There is no way I'm spending that much money for nothing extremely noteworthy in my opinion. Once MMS is working and 3.0 is released, my current 3G will be more than good.

14. drakeshipway macrumors 6502

drakeshipway

It's worth it for me.
    My phone doesn't last past 3pm usually. And I'm really excited about video & the new camera.

& Lastly the speed, is really worth it for me too.

It's deff. a person situation though, do you really like the new features?

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given the fact this is a refinement of the current iPhone, I'd say its probably not worth the cost, but as others have stated, its your money and only you can decide whether its worth the cost.

I like the idea the 2x bandwidth and better camera but over all, the update doesn't grab me enough to justify spending that much money and resetting my 2 year commitment.

16. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Wait next year for the iphone 4G
    You can get most of what is offered on a normal 3G phone
    Who cares about a better camera or video
    Do people really use their phone for those things anyways?

17. MTI macrumors 65816

Current subscribers may want to wait to see if AT&T wrangles a continuation of their exclusive contract as well.

As for the increased speed . . . what part of that is on AT&T's shoulders?

18. Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

Optimistic to think that Christmas will fix a recession.

Plus, that is like saying the 3GS is a waste of time. 3G contracts that were initiated around the 3G's release will expire in January, meaning that many customers will be eligible for an upgrade in December. A 6 month product cycle for such a high price tag mobile device is lunacy.