Worth it to upgrade to 3.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joejoejoe, Mar 23, 2009.

?

Worth it to upgrade?

1. Yes, upgrade

25 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. No, don't upgrade

32 vote(s)
    56.1%
  1. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

My brother is a developer and has 3.0. He asked if I wanted to upgrade.

From your guys' experience, is it worth it? The new features seem fun, but I won't be developing and at the end of the day just want a fast, reliable phone. Is the software buggy enough that its not worth it to upgrade?

Thanks for the input.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Unless your upgrading your phone to test out apps being developed, I wouldn't bother. There are still a lot of bugs, and some of the new features don't even work $100 percent yet. I would just stay at 2.21 right now. If you are bored with 2.2.1, then jailbreak and that will keep you entertained for a good while. :)

3. MXChristian11 macrumors 6502

MXChristian11

I updated to 3.0 the other day, and i find it very useful. it's not that buggy for me. I hardly have any of the reported problems by other members. I restored my phone from backup, and I love it. I mean, it's up to you. But for me, I really enjoy the new features. And yes, not all of the apps are fully created and in their 100% useable state, but Apple did a fine job with the Beta 1.

No problems for me. :)
    .....knock on wood!
    :apple:

4. joshellis625 macrumors 6502

joshellis625

well it depends :/

if you are power user that uses their phone constantly all day for calls, texts, email etc it might not be a good idea.

Just moments ago I discovered another terrible bug in the 3.0 beta that kinda pushed me close to the "switch back to 2.x" line. I had a text message on the screen in "messages" that i was reading and I went to tap the call button at the top to call the contact i was texting and this is what happened:

- I tapped the call button.
    - The touch region seemed to be messed up and it took me back to another sms on the list and initiated a call to that contact which happened to be the facebook mobile number (useless for calling obviously).
    - The screen went black except for the status bar and i waiting 10 seconds.
    - the call window (very graphically screwed up) popped up and started dialing the FB mobile number...
    - I pushed End Call. The button pushed.. nothing happened. The screen then went blank again except for the status bar.
    - my original sms window from the contact that i wanted to call in the FIRST PLACE came up.
    - i then pushed call again at the top of the sms app and the screen went blank again just like i said previously. then it finally started the call.
    - the same thing happened after i had my conversation and hung up.
    - my phone then self reset its own springboard (took 30 seconds) and sent me back to my home page.

WOW.... what a crazy beta....

-Josh

5. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

I totally agree. I just got MMS working, too. This is a pretty stable beta, if you ask me.

6. JavaWizKid macrumors 6502a

I would, I'm not sure about the bugs though. Then again, I love beta software!!!

7. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

My friends who've upgrading are complaining about instability, needing to reboot the thing and much reduced battery life.

Remember you can't go back if you change your mind.

8. JavaWizKid macrumors 6502a

9. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Fixed... there are tons of threads here about going back.

It's not that simple.

10. Macjames macrumors 6502a

i voted no, but hell what's life without a few risks...:D

11. nicheco macrumors member

12. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

It's strange, but I'm finding that I have to reboot fewer and fewer times each day. For instance, the bug where the audio goes out hasn't occurred at all today, and I've been using the iPhone all day.

And I have rolled back to 2.2.1 just to see if I could do it. True, you retain the 3.0 baseband, but 2.2.1 worked just fine with it.

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Just say NO! My JB 3G iPhone does so much more. I've got videos that I need saved and transferred to several email accounts; can 3.0 do that? HELL no......:p:cool::p:cool::p:cool: