Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bryanc28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Arlington, Va
Bought my iphone 3g a year ago. I'm getting the itch for something newer/current. Is it worth it to upgrade or should I wait until July when the next version comes out?

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
where were you back in June when everyone was asking this question?

since its already November, I would say you might as well wait now till June...

superspiffy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2007
I just upgraded from a 3G yesterday and I say yes! If you can shell out the upgrade price or if you can find somebody to trade your 3G for a 3GS + a little cash, go for it. The speed difference alone is worth it. Throw in the voice control, compass, augmented reality apps, better cam, you'll fall in love with your iPhone all over again. I didn't think I'd be using voice control but it's a must have app if you're in the habit of playing music from your iPhone while driving.

Cycom

Suspended
Mar 27, 2007
Commiefornia
I would hold off if I were you. June is not that far away and the folks at Cupertino might have something very nice for us.

Zedsdead185

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
UK
I would hold off if I were you. June is not that far away and the folks at Cupertino might have something very nice for us.

hmmm, to be honest, June really is quite a while away, in fact, about 7 months away...

Theres always something new around the corner.

katyoshi

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Just upgrade and save up money for later. You can always sell your previous iPhone as it will probably still be in high demand. ESP since you can unlock it coming November 4th for th 3.1.2 unlock for 3GS. I'm with AT&T but if there's a newer iPhone out by after one year, I'm buying the new one and selling this one as I got AppleCare to makethe value higher.

army91c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
Go into an Apple store and check out the 3gs... mess around, do some side by side and you will see it is head and shoulders above the 3g. Now will you be posting this same thread in June when the new iPhone is out? Can you afford to upgrade now and later? If you say yes to those questions then I say go for it.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
how many of these threads do we need

I mean if you can wait then wait till June if you can't honestly there is allot of differences between the 3g and 3gs I suggest going to a Apple or AT&T store or playing with a friends 3gs then you can decide I want the 3gs now or I'll wait and see what June has for us. nobody no what will be out next june so this is really hard to answer next gen could have major upgrades or very few.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
You should definitely wait. You've got a working iPhone which is currently the second best smartphone on the market (the first being the 3GS of course). It's been too long since the 3GS update and you should just complete your contract and avoid the extra costs and hassle associated with an early upgrade.

Besides, if you think the difference between the 3G and 3GS is a big deal then the difference between the 3G and whatever the next generation iPhone will be enormous. I guarantee you that everyone raving about the 3GS now will be starting threads when the next iPhone is released trying to figure out ways to upgrade then.

It's only 7 months! At that point it will be so much easier and cheaper for you to upgrade and you'll have an iPhone that current 3GS owners will be jealous of.

trajen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
I am coming back to AT&T for the 3GS. I skipped the 3G and I feel that it's time to see what all the fuss is about. And like the poster above said, I can always sell the 3GS when the 4G comes out. :) 7 months is too long for me.

klamse25

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2009
Bought my iphone 3g a year ago. I'm getting the itch for something newer/current. Is it worth it to upgrade or should I wait until July when the next version comes out?

gtfoFail.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.