Worth it to upgrade to new iPhone without ATT subsidy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by walt7788, Aug 23, 2016.

1. walt7788 macrumors member

With the new iPhone likely coming next month, I am debating whether to upgrade or not.

No subsidies from ATT anymore. I have an old unlimited data plan. I'm on contract until 9/2017 (installment upgrade available 4/2017), so no possibility of ATT Next either

Looks like it's either drop $700-1,000 on a new iPhone at the time of purchase, or finance via iPhone upgrade program to pay in installments. I'd prefer the latter, but really don't want the hard check on my credit...

It seems crazy to me to spend that kind of money on a phone, when we used to get a $450 subsidy from ATT....What to do?

2. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

Personally speaking, I wouldn't use the Apple financing upgrade method. Apparently it hits your credit everytime you upgrade. No iPhone is worth that IMO. You could just finish paying off your current phone before buying a new one. That way, you're not paying for two devices at the same time.

If you're still wanting to by a phone out right, you could use a Best Buy credit card (assuming you have one) and buy it through them. 12 months no interest financing. Just make sure you pay it off in time. If you do, you'll be fine. But if you don't...yeah it ain't pretty

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Has anyone actually gotten concrete information that it hits your credit every single time? According to my sources (those that work at Apple), once you are approved once, you will continue to be approved unless you miss payments on your current loan with Citizens One. Really no different than with AT&T. When you initially sign up for service, they do a credit check, but once you establish history with them, credit checks aren't required anymore.

The reason why I believe it won't be hit on credit again was because I signed up for one iPhone with the program, and then did a second iPhone via the upgrade program a week later and only one hit to my credit.

4. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

That's just what the phone costs. I've always hated the idea of the subsidies as they distort the perceived value of the device. If money is that important of a factor then a possibility is to not upgrade just yet, and buy a used one a few months after release.

5. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Unless you're buying a house in the next couple of months, why does anyone care if their credit is checked?

6. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

Depends on what your current phone is. I have an iPhone 6 and contract expires next month. However, with no subsidy and no big refresh, I'm going to skip this one. I still hate there is no subsidy though. I always keep my phones for 2 years or more and it benefited me.

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Ever heard of 'churning'? Its actually become quote popular, I myself take part. Open up credit cards for massive rewards, then dump the credit card and do it over again. I've done this twice now with Chase Sapphire Preferred. You can do it once every 24 months. $625 in points or 2 first class tickets on United. I paid for a 14 day trip to the Bahamas and Orlando all on credit card points. I'm very cautious with credit pulls because thats one less credit card I can open. Credit pulls hurt, even with an 800+ score.

8. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

First, you are correct. Too many credit pulls are not good. And credit card companies do not expose this to the User. And dumping credit cards will always follow you, even when their deactivated and inactive. Banks, financial institutions, lending groups all can see how many credit cards you have had and when. Taken into consideration when approving a lien or applying for something specific.

Second, thats a great way to pay for vacations with credit card points. I see a lot of consumers doing this now and it's risk free.