Worth It to Upgrade to uMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WAM2, Nov 3, 2011.

1. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

I Currently have a maxed out early 2008 (non-unibody) MBP, and Really want a uMBP but not sure if its worth it.

Current Specs are:

Early 2008
    15.4 inch Antiglare
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz
    6gb Ram
    120gb SSD (OCZ Vertex Plus SATA II)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256mb
    Superdrive

Would it be worth it to sell it for one of these?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC374LL/A
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC700LL/A

I Do, Do Some slight gaming, but nothing major, my xbox 360 is for that. Screen size isnt a huge deal, As i used a 13inch White MacBook before this MBP. Other than that its just video editing every now and again and web browsing.

2. Young Spade macrumors 68020

IMO, no. You'll see slows speeds, depending on what you're doing due tithe SSD you already have installed along with the lower stock RAM.

What do you use your computer for currently? Right now, the only vendors I can see for you are the backlit keyboard (not sure if you have that already), sandy bridge processor (which has benefits dependent on how you use the machine) and I can assume the graphics card.

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Hmm, you will miss the SSD I think. I wouldn't do it.

4. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

I Have a backlit keyboard, I just like to keep up to date, and this model is inevitable to break from the GPU Failure. I Really love the unibody design, and my model doesnt have the multitouch trackpad so im missing out on alot of features in lion. My Graphics card is better, but At the same time, I Dont game very much, soon not at all. I Can run things on high on this mac, but i dont mind running a game on low. Only thing I Would "Miss" from this model is the Screen Size, but again, I love the glossy display so it makes up or it. I Just dont have experience with the unibody and would like input.

EDIT: Also The Chiplet keyboard is a plus on the Unibody, I Love my White MB's keyboard way more than this keyboard.

----------

P.S. I havent even used the SSD Yet, im going to install it to bring the value up on this model if i sell it to pay for a unibody.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

The early 2008's do have multi-touch, I would know, I have one. Are you sure you don't have a late 2007? Those don't have multi-touch.

6. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Yes, when I Goto About this mac, then more info, it says Early 2008

7. jwksmith macrumors member

I had an early 2008 and it had multi-touch. I think you may need snow leopard to get it.

8. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

I'm on Lion.. The only multi touch i can do is 2 finger scroll.

9. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

that is multitouch... are you sure the other options are turned on in system preferences?