Worth it

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fasailmac, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Fasailmac macrumors member

I had purchased a 13 macbook pro but could not get used to the glossy display. I started looking at the older 15 inch macbook pros and managed to find one thats in decent condition and still have a warranty and had been repaired recently. I managed to find one for 800 canadian or 775 US.
    It has the following specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz Processor
    4GB RAM
    160GB Harddrive
    Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Card

Has applecare for another month or so.
    Comes with original box and accessories.

And the following repairs have been made:

New SuperDrive
    New LCD Screen
    New Battery (Currently only 6 cycles)
    New Logic Board

and it has no dents/scratches

Is this worth the 800, i dont use my laptop for anything processor intensive, all i use is web browsing and office.
    Also im curious could i get 4 hours of battery off of it if i dim the display

2. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I think it would be worth it, as long as everything works now.

4. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

Aren't the 8600 graphics cards notorious for going bad?
    In your case I would bank on the 8600 card dying while AppleCare is still on the laptop and that Apple replaces it with a new 15".

5. Reapur macrumors regular

honestly, save a few more weeks and get a new i5 15 inch with matte HR display. You will be much happier in the end, the computer will last you longer. If you put it into perspective you will be stretching that 800 dollars out over a longer period of time instead of having an old machine last you maybe a year or two then you have to spend more money later on to replace that machine with another out of date used computer.

Buying used laptops in general is scary since you have no idea how they handled or treated their machines on a day to day basis. I have read plenty of examples of people on these boards having so many issues with a computer and Apple repairing it time and time again, then finally selling the machine to get rid of their lemon. If its had all those things changed on it already there are probably more issues right around the corner that you will not want to inherit.