Worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SuperMiguel, Nov 9, 2010.

1. SuperMiguel macrumors 6502

Im an Electrical Engineer student and i have a 13" macbook pro (mid 2009 edition) 2.26 Ghz CPU, 8GB of ram, and dual SSD on Raid 0

Is it worth it to sell it and get the 2.66 Ghz i7 15"?? (i will put the 8gb of ram on it and the dual SSD drives)

2. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

You certainly know best what's worth your money or not.
    If the MBP 13 fulfills your needs in a satisfactory way, why would you change?
    But if you like and want the MBP 15, and money is not a big problem, then just suit yourself.
    ;)

3. SuperMiguel thread starter macrumors 6502

im wondering how much of a speed increase will i get going from that dual core 2.2 to a i7 2.6

4. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

definitively a significant speed bump according to this:
    http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2010/04/macbookpro-benchmarks/

However, that is very relative to what programs you run on your MBP. All programs will "run" faster, no doubt, but not necessarily in a way noticeable to you.
    If you work a lot on videos (editing, encoding) or graphics, it's certainly quite noticeable.

5. mdatwood macrumors 6502a

Do you do a lot of work that maxes your processor for long periods of time? If not it's probably not worth it from a purely pragmatic standpoint. You have already done the best upgrade which is getting SSDs.

6. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I would keep your MBP and wait for the next refresh, which may be significant. I didn't need heavy processing for my EE so unless you're doing something special, I would wait.