Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scartissue

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2004
Hey ho

6 months ago I bought a 12" iBook G4. Even though I was always planning on using it for simple word processing, music playing etc stuff, I chunked it up with 1.25GB of RAM and an 80GB. Bit of a silly decision, but I'll come back to that later.

2 months ago, the backlight or something died, and the monitor ceased to work. I didn't do anything since at the time I had GCSEs to worry about, and didn't need the stress of dealing with Apple's notroiously poor customer service. After a while, I dropped it off at a "local" (2 hours away if I want to use my warrantee, natch) Apple store, who said they'd fix it.

3 weeks later, while I am on vacation, my Dad picks it up, without testing it in store, and takes it home. 2 days ago, I try booting up, and am somewhat astonished to see that the screen is still dark as ever. I've called up the store, who will take it back in and hopefully fix it this time.

However, then I found out about the iBook updates. This has got me thinking. Since my iBook was somewhat overpowered to begin with, would it be worth cashing in on the warrantee, handing it back to Apple as damaged, and trying to get my money back (the damage was not caused through abuse, I simply turned it on one day, and nothing happened on the screen). Then, taking this cash, and plugging most (but not all) into a newer, slightly less powerful (for the record, thinking 768MB-1GB and a 60GB HD) 12" iBook. Also, there would be all the new bling like drop protection, BT-2.0 etc.

Would Apple accept that the machine was broken, and refund me? Or is that an idle dream? Also, is it worth keeping the machine I know?Considering I do not, nor will I ever, use intensive apps on it (All A-Level choices and degree ambitions focus on essay writing), is there a point. Indeed, is there another option that I havent caught onto?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
I'd just use the iBook when it comes back from the Apple store. I think it will be VERY difficult to convince Apple to replace the iBook under warranty (especially as it's BTO, seemingly), and it's hardly been outmoded by the recent iBook update. It's still pretty high on the shiny meter, especially with the extra RAM.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I also doubt that Apple would take your iBook back. Sounds as though you have a very nice system. It should do all that you require and more.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
I have toagree with the above posters, you have a very small chance of apple accepting your iBook as a return and replacing it with a new one......maybe worth giving it a try though, but to tell you the truth keep your iBook when you get it repaired and you will enbjoy it as the recent updates wont make much difference to your iBook usage...

ShadoW ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.