Worth it?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Juanma8, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Juanma8 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I'm new here.
    Need your help:
    Months ago I was interested in buying a MacBook Pro, then went to see it on a shop and fell in love with the iMac.

I decided I wanted the 21" + fusion drive.
    The problem is that here in my country costs about USD 2100 iris pro model + FD, and about 2400 gT 750 + FD.
    I'm not a professional and don't need a great machine ( that's why I thought of the mini, but sadly Apple didn't update it) .
    Is it worth the money? What do you think?

Thanks!

2. Phazer macrumors member

You get a great computer AND a great screen. Plus great software as iWorks and iLife bundled with the machine.
    Yes, I think it's worth it, but only you know how much money is worth to you.

3. Juanma8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!
    And will this computer last at least 3-4 years ?

4. Hamburger macrumors regular

The iMac is fantastic, I just got mine three weeks ago.
    I upgraded from a 2010 MBA (which I had hooked up to a now broken 24"ACD) so I did not want to miss out on SSD speed and got the base 21.5" with 256 SSD. I don't have a lot of data so 256 was more than enough.

As you are not a heavy user, and depending from where you are coming from, you could chose the base model with the HDD. But the experience with either Fusion or SSD will be much nicer, Fusion or 256 SSD cost the same. If you have a lot of data such as videos etc, Fusion should be your option (because the 512 SSD is another 300 on top), if not 256 would be the way to go.

And yes, it should last three to four years.

5. Juanma8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice!
    I read that fusion drive or ssd is worth the money, so I decided if I buy an IMAc it won't be the base model!

6. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Also remember to think about the RAM. It is not upgradable at a later date. For what you do, 8GB should be fine, but the 21" iMac will support 16GB. Fusion drive is nice because you get almost the speed of SSD, plus lots of storage. Should easily last you 4-5 years. I have a 2007 iMac that is still working just fine.

7. Juanma8 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Lintott macrumors newbie

Is the ram on an imac not upgradeable anymore? That cannot be right.

9. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

It is only aftermarket upgradable on the 27". You can easily do it yourself.

But the 21" can only have the RAM upgraded at time of purchase and would have to be built to order. You can not upgrade the RAM yourself on the 21".

That is what my post was referring too. The op was talking 21".

10. Lintott macrumors newbie

OK, got it. No expandability is pretty cr*p though. It would have been easy for them to do this. Will render them useless much earlier (which probably is what they want). I have upgraded most macs I have had after a year or two.

11. Phazer macrumors member

Definitely!
    I work as a mixing and mastering engineer, and while I use my iMac as my main machine, I do also use the MBP you see in my signature for some of the work if I'm travelling. And it's still rocking!
    Obviously it can't handle projects that are hitting 50% CPU on the iMac, but it's still great for smaller projects.
    Just goes to show how durable these products are.
    If you have the money, get it!

12. Juanma8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!!!