Worth It

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DOORSam32, Oct 21, 2007.

1. DOORSam32 macrumors newbie

DOORSam32

I am saving up to a buy a 15'' Macbook... but would it be worth it to use the fundings to buy iPhone???:confused:

2. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

Look deep inside yourself grass hopper! only you can answer this question for yourself. ::::sound gong::::

kidding aside... I guess it really depends on which you decide you need the most.

3. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

if I had neither, I would definitely get a laptop first.

4. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

There are a number of considerations involved here... First, I'd like to ask you a few questions. Some of them are candid but please don't be offended, my purpose in asking them is sort of more for my own education as to what kind of cross section of people are considering these purchases and why.

1. How old are you?

2. Are you still in school or working?

3. If working, what is your monthly/yearly income?

4. What do you use computers to do more than 75% of the time? (e.g. checking email, surfing the web, graphic design, etc.)

5. On a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being least and 5 being strongest, how would you rate your interest in using technology only as a tool to do creative things?

6. On a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being least and 5 being strongest, how would you rate your interest in using technology to promote a different way of doing things?

Please ask for clarification/examples if you're unsure what I mean in these questions. Depending on your responses, I'll have a response more tailored to your specific wants and needs.

5. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Agreed, but it's also 5x the price :rolleyes:

6. DOORSam32 thread starter macrumors newbie

DOORSam32

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

and a gazillion time more productive lol in terms of real work getting done

8. Geffen macrumors 6502

The 8GB iPhones are now $399 which you can buy at AT&T or Apple retail stores or at the Apple.com website

I would suggest getting the iPhone since its a multi functional phone you can use it as an iPod or browse the web and you have the camera feature.

9. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

I dunno, IMHO i use my cell phone more than my laptop... iPhone has finally made a device I can carry around that plays video, e-mail, web, phone, everything I really need in one small simple device.

10. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

$400

It really depends on what you want to do, and where. I like the iphone, because i can get on the internet and do email where ever i am. If i need to do more advanced things im usually pretty close to a desktop.

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I have both an iPhone and a laptop. Though, if I didn't have a laptop, I would get that before I got the iPhone.

To me the iPhone, or any smartphone for that matter, is an extension of a computer but not a replacement. My iPhone does save me from having to whip out my MacBook Pro more than I do currently, and that's a big help. There are also times where I know I'll only want to check my e-mail or view a couple web sites, in which case I know I can leave the MBP behind.

But there are times, like when I'm on a trip, or need to analyze some files or work on documents, where a laptop is essential. Extended web surfing or e-mail work is also something I'd rather do in front of a computer.

A Laptop can do it all (except be a stylish small cellphone of course). The iPhone just helps in that my larger laptop doesn't have to do it all, all the time. But then, that's my .02 on the topic.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

this question is kin to asking should i get a bike or a car. for instance depends what you need. i take my bike with me in my car so i can have something easy to get around campus and stuff where a car would be more of a hassle

but for real travel def a car

haha i like my analogy

13. DOORSam32 thread starter macrumors newbie

DOORSam32

its a good analogy but r u suggesting an iPhone or a MacBook

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

for me i need a computer way more than an iphone so thats what i would do

but i dont know what your needs are so that will be something you would have to decide

15. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

16. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Well, you can't even activate the iPhone without a computer.

D'oh!

:D

17. Cyclotrode macrumors regular

Cyclotrode

I agree, especially if this is your first Mac.

Get the MacBook and don't look back...you can save up for the iPhone afterwards. :)

18. zuniga337 macrumors newbie

I just sold my laptop and bought an iphone. I am very happy with my decision. All I used my laptop for was to keep pics (less than 1 gig) music (less than 4 gig) and manage email and browse a few websites. The iphone does all this and more for me! I guess it all depends on what you are using it for.