Worth it?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by WarBourne, Mar 30, 2009.

1. WarBourne macrumors newbie

I am going to purchase a 1g 8gb ipod touch refurbrished off the apple store cause at the moment its all i can afford to upgrade to. Is it going to be worth the $159?

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

That's subjective... It's about what you think, not some random people on a computer forum.

3. WarBourne thread starter macrumors newbie

well then what would u do if u were in my
    situation?

4. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

What are you using it for? What do you have now?

I got my wife a 1G 16 GB touch and it is all she needs- she uses it as a PDA and it is perfect.

So what is your story- what are your needs. We need to know that before we can recommend it or not...

5. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Yes. All you need to do is compare it's features to any other media player that sells for $159 or so. Even more so if it comes with a warranty. No other device (at that price) will have WiFi and the apps that come with it.

6. AntiPhoenix macrumors newbie

I bought the Ipod Touch 1g when it came out and i can tell you, im still positively mad about it) best pda ever with many great and good looking apps(stanza for ebooks f.eg.)

7. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I love my first gen 16gig to pieces. Exceeded my expectations when I purchased it and continues to do so. No complaints at all. Drain the entire battery pretty much every day using it :).

8. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

We don't even know if the OP needs wifi or not...WarBourne please post your needs...

I forgot to add that my wife's touch noted above was a refurb. as well- three months ago- perfect shape- they replace the entire outer case, new ear buds, cords, etc.

9. HunterGather macrumors member

If it makes a difference or not, there are some apps that make use of a microphone (a headphone+mic combo or one that plugs into it) that are only compatible on the 2g ipod touches.

Just in case if you were interested in any apps that could make use of a mic.

(at least, thats what i think is the case from what i gather).

And the 1g touches don't have a built in speaker, which is useful for games and light sharing of video watching n stuff.

Personally, I'd get a 2nd gen touch.

10. WarBourne thread starter macrumors newbie

srry for the late post but i have a 3rd generation ipod nano 8gb and want to use the ipod touch for many things, like pda, movies, music, school, and other utilities.........

11. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Yes, then it sounds like a great iPOd upgrade for you- so much more flexible and you can keep your calendar/homework/classes or whatever organized for school, really see the movie you are watching, etc. So I say go for it. I have always had luck with refurb Apple products...

12. itouchaddicted macrumors regular

sorry for being so green on itouch upgrade but i was just wondering if one can upgrade itouches or apple ipods by trading the old ones+ diffence in the cost to the apple store. Is it possible? then i would imperitively upgrade my 2nd gen itouch to the 3rd gen which would hopefully come out this sept. thx

13. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

You already asked this and you were already giving an answer.

No. Not possible. At all. The closest you'll get is a 10% discount from the new one by giving Apple the old one. So if you want to get a $230 iPod touch, you will get a measly $23 discount by giving Apple the old one. You still have to pay $207.
    Apple doesn't just trade them. That's like wondering if Sony will give you a free PS3 just for giving them back your PS2. Not gonna happen. You paid for that specific piece of hardware, no one at Apple is obligated to just upgrade you.