Worth me getting an iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LastLine, Sep 14, 2007.

1. LastLine macrumors 65816

SO guys, the iPhone's not far off hitting the UK now (fingers crossed)

I'm looking at replacing my increasingly decrepit XDA Exec with it but here's what I do - see if the iPhone fits me needs :)

• Note making - either in notes, or MS Word. Doesn't much matter which to be honest, it's the alternative to carrying a notepad and paper - quick jottings.
    • Internet - Mostly checking e-mails and facebook right now, but that's due to a poor (In my opinion) browser option. With a better browser and data plan I would likely use it more.
    • Instant Messaging - when I get bored, occasionally a bit of MSN Messenger. Is there a web based option for this now? Does www.live.com's beta work alright on the iPhone?
    • Texting - essential this one. Would be nice to think it might sync with my mac somehow?
    • Calender and contacts - do I assume these both syncronise seamlessly with iCal and Address book?
    • Phone Calls - although this is actually a secondary thing for my phone (go figure!) How is the speaker quality (not speakerphone, just the normal one)
    • Spreadsheets - Now here's the biggy - Does Googledocs work on here? or does it have a decent pdf reader? I rarely write to them on the XDA, more often just viewing

2. jlanuez macrumors 6502

Unfortunatly, no.

• I Don't think you will be buying an iPhone.
      Too bad, it's the best smart-phone I've ever owned!

3. Hustle macrumors 6502a

Huh?. I'm in the UK, and if Apple releases the iPhone on Tuesday, i'm buying one and unlocking it to t-mobile.

4. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

Wow thanks for such a....unhelpful answer. Such detail is astounding.

5. bcooper0125 macrumors member

The note application that comes on the iPhone works perfect for me, but it has no Mac equivalent, yet...so my notes are stuck on the iPhone, unless I write them down, which isn't really needed.

Safari on the iPhone is good. It does hang on a few sites every once in a while, and can be a little sluggish...but it's better than the first version of it...

I haven't tried any IM's on it, yet...sorry. I've heard Yahoo! works, though...

Texting is great on the iPhone. Very easy to do. It did take a little getting used to how to type on it, though. Unfortunately, messages cannot be synched with your Mac. The only downfall I have with texting on it is that you can only send a message to 1 person at a time...

You're correct with the iCal and Address Book assumption :) They work great together.

Phone quality is great for me...the speakerphone could be a tad louder, though...

Haven't used GoogleDocs or tried to open a PDF, sorry...

Hopefully my answers were a little more helpful than others ;) :rolleyes:

6. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Note making is fine for me, sync to mac would be a plus
    Internet I love, browser works great aside from maybe flash and some random things. IMs work pretty well though a real app would be nice. The speaker on the phone is my biggest complaint as it could be much louder imo.

7. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks guys :) Certainly helping my decision here!

8. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

I forgot to add amongst the critique..the phone is awesome and light years from where my last one was. it's truly a joy and it's easy to look at it and see all that it could potentially do and scream for some updates. best device i've ever purchased.