Worth my time?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by comda, May 9, 2015.

1. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

Greetings Macrumors!

Today at work i was disassembling some Pentium 4 systems and Found this! Its a Fx5200 128MB. Since im allowed to take anything i desire from the garbage pile i decided i would take it, perhaps id learn how to flash it for a mac. But all my systems are all in Ones aside from my dead Quick Silver.

But i might get some Tower PPC machines and i want to know is this card worth taking the time to flash or should i just recycle it?

Attached Files:

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Feel free to hang me up to dry, but IMO no.

I've flashed the PCI 256mb version because it's the only way to get Core Image in a PCI-only New World ROM Mac(i.e. a B&W G3 or Yikes! G4). As CI cards, go, however it's pretty far down on the list.

The G5 version of these cards are a dime a dozen, as they were the base level card in the first couple of generations of G5 systems.

In a G4, you're better off with something like a Radeon 9600. The G5 version of the 9600 can pretty easily be modified to work in a G5.

If you want to play around with flashing nVidia cards, this might be a good one to experiment on. I've never had any luck flashing nVidia cards in a Mac(although I've had no trouble flashing ATI cards in a Mac).

3. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

In my opinion, it would be a fun project and couldn't hurt.

4. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Unless you're in dire need of space in the parts drawer, I don't see any reason NOT to keep something like that. Its super small, has no real resale value, and worst case it could be made to work with something you own. Why not keep it?

5. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

I am jealous of your work:p

I have been trying to find a Socket 478 board for a rig. The rig is supposed to run games during the 2004 era(Half Life 2 for example). Only downside is that a lot of the boards I find don't include a faceplate:mad:(for the ports). I would rather not scavenge the internet for something that probably isn't there. Another downside is that they probably have an issue, such as 2GB ram limit or something like that. Some sellers don't even give information about the board.:mad:

Before someone says it, I will not buy a prebuilt rig.:p

Would love to put a Pentium 4 in a Corsair Obsidian 350D:D
    --

On topic, I would give it a shot. :)

I haven't flashed a card before, mostly because I never had the reason to. All my PowerPCs are in a laptop form, no desktops since I don't have the space. Back to what I was saying, It seems like a cool challenge.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

As above, the GeForce 5200 is a good PCI card, but a poor performing AGP card when compared to other cards of similar bus. It wouldn't be worth the hassle to flash it.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Flashing low-end cards is a fun project and they make good spares. I would definitely keep it around as a spare because you never know when it may come in handy. That being said, it is not a very good card to use on a daily driver rig.

8. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

9. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I believe so...

11. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Then it's worth something.

12. bax2003 macrumors 6502a

bax2003

13. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

PM me, if we are close geographically i can help. When finding this card i pulled it from a nice Pentium 4 Asus P4P800-S board.

----------

I've never flashed a card either and dont know anything about the taping of the pins. And sadly the only machine that is eligable for a Video Card update that i have is a Dead Quicksilver lol.

PS. After i wrote the post i found another one of these. Haha Both are in my glovebox ;)

----------

Possibly. My parts drawer *cough cpugh* my room is getting quite junky and i love the projects but hate clutter haha. So i have some thinking to do. Again if anyone is Interested perhaps i can give them away if they are in the area.

14. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If you have some fun stuff that PPC forum members can use then I am sure they would love to take it off your hands. Perhaps they would even pay for some of them.