Worth of MacBook Pro 13 inch after one year?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dilbaggins, Feb 6, 2010.

1. dilbaggins macrumors member

I was wondering, How much would a MacBook Pro 13 inch (base model) be worth after a year if I throw in AppleCare? It has no scratches, really clean appearance. Only 61 cycles in battery life and barely used. I want to sell it around June/July.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

www.mac2sell.net minus 50 to 150€ (because of time that still has to pass until June/July).

3. dilbaggins thread starter macrumors member

I think that guide is complete BS. If I throw in AppleCare, It has to be worth around $1200

4. Apple.MBPro macrumors member

You can also try current ebay listings to get an approximate feel of the price you might receive. Also try this link on ebay: http://cgi5.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SellHub3Visitor

This link shows you the average end price of the past MBP 13" listings. From the condition you have described your MBP to be in, it should fetch you a pretty good deal for you as a seller. Also, since you are selling the MBP in the seller, and with MBP soon to be refreshed, you will loose out a little bit on the value there, since MBP 13" will most likely be updated with better specs. and a new processor. Since, you have AppleCare, it is definitely a huge plus to get a really good selling price. Finally, do not worry too much, Apple :apple: always has good resalable value. :)

5. Dekimasu macrumors regular

FYI, not supposed to be discussed in this forum. Don't be surprised if the thread gets shut down.

6. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

hell no. everyone LOVES to think that their stuff is worth more than it really is. you paid 1450 w/ applecare, and you seriously think that you'll only lose 250 after a year?

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Mac2Sell is a good tool to find a starting price to work it but as we all know with Macs, people are willing to purchase one at any discount they can. Definitely try Mac2Sell then hit up Craigslist and Kijiji to see what people in your area are selling their MacBook Pro for and then come up with a price. Just because someone says the computer is old or this and that and it's only worth xxx.xx dollars, doesn't mean you should sell it for that. I'm pretty sure many people won't touch the Early-2008 MacBook Pro w/ the 8600M GT but people are selling them anywhere from $1100-2100 in my area (GTA) based on model/configuration and have sold them at those prices.

8. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

I'm assuming your from the U.S.

This is the refurbished base 13" MBP. It's $999. So you have to go lower than that because no matter what you may think, refurbished is better than used.

You do have AppleCare, but thats only $199 with Edu. discount. Price conscious shoppers will use edu discount regardless of whether they attend college/uni or not. I'll call it $100.

Sell it for $950-$1000.
    LOL, I agree 100%.

9. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Ya. I've seen old (pre-Intel) machines for 2/3 the price of a new (Intel) machine on my local Kijiji. Perceived value in the Mac world is a bit high, I think...

10. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Having a PowerBook G4 and asking for $1500 is one thing. Actually getting anywhere near that amount is a whole other story.

11. Steve Jobs. macrumors regular

im Steve Jobs and i think you should sell your computer for $900 which would be an extremely fair price.

Especially after the new Macbook Pros come out.....you gotta factor in the fact that they are releasing new laptops with BRAND NEW cpu architecture.

12. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Powermax.com will give you a free quote; they were pretty generous the last time I checked into it.

13. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It definitely is. You take a PC with a similar configuration and try to get a similar price, people laugh. But a Mac, it's not unreasonable at all. See my post above and it's exactly how it is. You can't deny that part of the reason people want a Mac is because of an/the image and because of that, if you can get one at a lower price than retail, why not jump on it? So people will take what they can get.

BTW, which 13" does the OP have? I hope you have the 2.53GHz model asking for $1200 because even for that model, that price is too high. If you have the base model, definitely wish you the best of luck trying to find a buyer at that price. In the GTA, we have them going for around $1000 CDN.

14. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

You'd be surprised. People are easy to bamboozle with some enthusiastic language in an ad on Kijiji. I don't think I've seen a Powerbook G4 actually sell for $1500, but I've seen them disappear after a few days at $900.

People aren't COMPLETELY stupid. I've seen $800 or $900 iMac G5s sit there for months. But the ceiling is very high for G4 laptops and G5 Powermacs.

15. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

I think part of the problem is switchers, that don't necessarily understand the differences between the machines. For example, the uneducated may look at a 2.7GHz Powermac G5 Duo and compare that with a Dual Core 3.06GHz Xeon Mac Pro and not realize that this is NOT a 10% difference.