Worth purchasing a 2011 MBP now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bigredhawkeye, Mar 14, 2012.

  1. Bigredhawkeye macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2012
    #1
    Hey everyone, first post here.

    I'm a longtime Thinkpad user, and currently a sophomore in college. After using apple products my whole life I've decided to finally switch and buy my first Mac, a 15" MBP.

    I'm active on some other computing forums and have been offered a Late 2011 15" Pro for $1,400, practically brand new, with the specs I want.

    If you were me, would you pounce on the deal even though Apple will most likely be announcing a refresh of the line in the next month? Keep in mind I'm strapped for cash, so I'm going to assume that the new 15" Pros will be near $2,000? If I want to buy the MBP I'm going to have to act fast, I'm just not sure if I should wait it out another month or to see what the new offerings will be, and if they'll be out of my price range or not.
     
  2. simsaladimbamba

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Location:
    located
    #2
    It depends on your computational needs. Many people don't really need the latest computer to satisfy those needs, except the want.
    You could also look at .
     
  3. Spink10 Suspended

    Spink10

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    #3
    What is your recourse when purchasing from that computing forum?
     
  4. roofz macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2012
    Location:
    Southern California
    #4
    Since you don't need it right now, hang on to your thinkpad for a while longer. Surely after the 2012 models are released that same forum you found the current seller at will have many more sellers trying to sell their MBPs.. and the increase in supply will lead to lower prices overall. Econ 101.

    This will also allow you to see just how expensive the 15" really will be so you could determine wether or not you want to just go with the 2012 version.
     
  5. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2011
    #5
    sure you don't need it right now but trust me you save a lot of time "researching" i.e. reading ********s of people's own opinions on macbooks etc once you take the plunge and buy. Having said that this could be the most substantial external change in 3-4 years (whenever the unibody came out) but it won't be a massive speed increase
     
  6. maril1111 macrumors 68000

    maril1111

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2010
    Location:
    Denmark
  7. Liquinn Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #7
    Well the buyers guide for the MBPs is "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle"
     
  8. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #8
    We're at a point where you should only get it if you need one now. Waiting is the best recourse given that Ivy Bridge is only a few months away.
     
  9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

    heisenberg123

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2010
    Location:
    Hamilton, Ontario
    #9
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD318LL/A

    not sure what the specs are on the one for $1400

    here is a refurb late 2011 for $1529 sure its a bit more but you will get the full 1 year warranty and you can buy apple care anytime within that first year.
     
  10. lamboman macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2011
    #10
    Note that for the most part, the buyer's guide is based on averaging the gaps between releases; it doesn't really have anything to do with the rumours.

    That said, I wouldn't buy one right now if you don't need one, but of course, if you need it now, buy it now. Either way, it's a great laptop, and when the new models come out, the old ones will still be great laptops.
     
  11. Liquinn Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #11
    Yeah I know, I'm waiting to buy the top-of-the-range 17" for my Photoshop needs on the road.
     
  12. jgz macrumors regular

    jgz

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2011
    Location:
    suedtirol.italy
    #12
    okay, a new redesigned macbook pro will be nice (improved battery live/better cooling/discrete graphics or whatever instead of the ODD) + Ivy Bridge,

    BUT

    what about user replaceable parts, like RAM or HDD? I feel a little bit unhappy, when thinking, that I'm not able to change something, without voiding my warranty.....

    I think, as I need a bigger macbook (>13"), I'll wait and than I'll see :)
     
  13. allofthepeople macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2012
    Location:
    Birmingham, Alabama
    #13
    13 inch

    I just hope my waiting isn't going to be pointless, when they don't even announce anything but pretty much a 15 inch Air... What do you guys think about the chances of a new 13 inch that still has a standard hard drive and optical drive? I don't care so much about a better processor I just don't want to miss out on a new feature like a retina display or something!
     
  14. danwayfilms macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2012
    #14
    I've pretty much decided to buy now. I love the current design, and I NEED antiglare and the ability to change out the ram and HDD. I also like the idea of putting a second HDD in the Optical Bay.

    The latest rumor about a 15 inch MacBook Air scares me that they will start merging the lines, and that is something that I am not ready for in terms of computing power.

    Recent threads have suggested that the refresh with ivy bridge will only provide a small improvement in performance. The real thing everyone is excited about is a redesign, but I don't like how that is heading.

    And Apple calling this the "Post PC era" doesn't do anything to comfort me.
     
  15. jgz macrumors regular

    jgz

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2011
    Location:
    suedtirol.italy
    #15
    I would also buy now, but I hope for better prices, when the new ones are out....
     
  16. fcandreask macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2012
    #16
    What's the point to buy a mbp now. If you wait a few months you can buy a better mbp with ivy bridge,ssd etc, at the same price.
     
  17. Z3man macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2012
    Location:
    UK
    #17
    i have just bought one now because i wanted one now, not in 2,3,4 or 6 months time. i didn't need one now i just bought one now because i wanted one now and very happy i am with it too. and i will still be happy with it when its replacement comes out, it will still be a great laptop.

    if you want one now buy one now, a few months or possibly longer is a long time to wait.
     
  18. maswriter macrumors member

    maswriter

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2012
    #19
    I'm in a situation where I had to buy now, so I got the early 2011 MBP 15-inch. I didn't need the performance increase of the late 2011 model as much as I needed the cost savings. It also takes a bit of the sting out when Apple does release a new model.

    I notice that this model is no longer listed on the refurbished list. Either they sold out, or they're making room for new models.

    I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. Apparently, shipments have been delayed because of the demand for a new Apple product, this pad thing or something like that. :)
     
  19. nutmac macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2004
    #20
    If you have large built-in storage needs (500 GB and up), 2011 MBP will be your best bet. By many indications, 15" MBP will become 15" MBA with only SSD/flash option (512 GB will likely be priced at $2500 or more).

    If you can live with smaller storage and/or external disk, I would venture to wait.
     
  20. allofthepeople macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2012
    Location:
    Birmingham, Alabama
    #21
    Because I don't care about Ivy Bridge, don't want a SDD because I need all the space I can get and can not afford additional storage... I would just want an add on like the Retina like I already said
     
  21. Bigredhawkeye thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2012
    #22
    Thanks for all the comments so far guys.

    After reading a lot on this forum I figured I'll probably just hold on to my Thinkpad T420s for a bit longer and resist my Mac urge until we know something concrete about the 15" Pro. I really want one now, but I know I will be kicking myself if they announce a redesign in a month.

    Plus in my situation I wouldn't even mind a 15" Air. I don't do anything too strenuous on my laptops besides browsing, videos, papers, etc, so I would much prefer the thinner profile with SSD standard. I'm too spoiled by my SSD in my Thinkpad and would hate to go back to a HDD.
     

Share This Page