Worth purchasing a USED Rev A MBA for $800?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dsa420, Jun 13, 2009.

  1. dsa420 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2007
    #1
    I found a local individual on craigslist offering to sell his: MB003LL/A Rev A MBA for $800. With all of the heat problems and the like is it worth risking purchasing a "used" computer?

    This machine would most likely only be used by my wife for internet surfing and other minor tasks. Currently she is using my Powerbook G4 and its a clunky beast with a battery that doesnt last for more than 30 mins.
     
  2. Disavowed macrumors regular

    Disavowed

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2009
    Location:
    Midwest
    #2

    Forget the Rev A...pony an extra 200 bucks and get the white macbook.
     
  3. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

    IgnatiusTheKing

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2007
    Location:
    das Fort
    #3
    I have one (bought it refurbished from Apple) and I love it. I haven't experienced any real heat problems (it gets warm, but I don't get core shut downs or anything) or any of the video stuttering I've read about.

    I would recommend it for sure, but you might want to try to get the serial number from the seller to check if it's still under warranty. That might ease your mind a bit.
     
  4. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

    Airforcekid

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2008
    Location:
    United States of America
    #4
    Since the new price drops I would pay $650 MAX for one buts thats my view.
     
  5. sofaking30 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2009
    #5
    yes, I would def. make sure there's still some warranty left, so you can opt for applecare

    I'm sure you can get a hundred or three for the G4 powerbook to offset the $800:D
     
  6. kinkster macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2008
    #6
    Most of the heat problems have been smoothed out with software updates I believe.

    Id check for lines and screen hinge wobble before you buy it. Otherwise it would be great for light tasks and should get a good boost from snow leopard.


    Heh just wait about a year and used MBAs will be like premium netbooks.
     
  7. Scottsdale macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #7
    You can buy a new one for $1799 or even a rev B 1.86 with SSD for only $1449. That is like brand new and includes a one year warranty, iLife 09, and SNOW LEOPARD ($9.99 shipping via Mac up to date program).

    I wouldn't pay $500 for an original one. The newer ones may cost more, but comparing value it's a no brainer. But to each their own opinion. There have been a few happy with the original MBA, but there have been many others who were not. The truth though is the rev B and new MBAs both have so many component changes that make it so much more valuable and worthy going into the future.

    Consider that Snow Leopard and OpenCL will take advantage of the 9400m GPU, whereas the 3100 on the original is not compatible to take advantage of the advancements in Snow Leopard. Calculate into your decision the future. If you want to use the MBA for a few years, spending more will ensure you get all of the features of Snow Leopard and your MBA will not be obsolete in a few months. In addition, more drive space, and more peace of mind.
     
  8. kinkster macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2008
    #8
    I'm betting hes aiming or an $800 computer though, not a Macbook Air.

    So within his constraints it could be a good option.
     
  9. Scottsdale macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #9
    Could be, but I would truthfully recommend an $800 PC over an original MBA... that's just me!
     
  10. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

    IgnatiusTheKing

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2007
    Location:
    das Fort
    #10
    Unless I'm mistaken, Snow Leopard will also make better use of the multiple cores in the MBA's (any MBA) processor, so it's not like the update will be useless. Plus, it will only be a $29 upgrade for anyone who has Leopard already, so saving $29 with the Up to Date program may not be worth the extra $700 to get the newer machine.
     
  11. tigres macrumors 68040

    tigres

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2007
    Location:
    Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
    #11
    I would not do what the OP is suggesting.

    No way, no how.
     
  12. dsa420 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2007
    #12
    Thanks for all the feedback guys, I think I am going to pass for now. Too many unknowns for me in buying a used computer.

    Our current G4 works fine (short of the battery life), but its just so "clunky" compared to my new MBP and the MBA's. I most likely will either purchase a Rev B or C.

    You guys all made great points and help dissuade me from buying.
     

Share This Page