Worth purchasing this new Macbook 2.0 or hold off for a MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by EHUnlucky7x9@ao, Feb 1, 2009.

  1. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2006
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #1
    Hey guys,

    As you know...I'm currently looking to purchase a MBP in the Marketplace section here. Anyways, I've been shopping around for quite some time and I found a local seller who is selling his Aluminum Macbook 2.0Ghz with the 160Gb HD and 2Gb RAM for $830. I've seen the Macbook at hand and its in perfect condition, no problems, no damages and the battery only has 5 cycles on it.

    I'm not sure if I should get it or not because I am looking to get a machine that would help encode ~ 1Gb video files to .H264 640w. Should I get a MBP for the job or is this AL Macbook 2.0 good enough?

    I'm currently looking around in the Marketplace section and I don't know if the MB is a good enough deal that I should buy it for my need of encoding on the go.
     
  2. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2008
    Location:
    Thule GL @ the TOW
    #2
    ...why's this sellor giving up his/her MB so quickly?
     
  3. EHUnlucky7x9@ao thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2006
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #3
    No idea, but its all legit. We got to talking about cost and I got him down to $830. I told him to give me a few days to get the money together. I can buy it now, its just that I don't know if the encoding of video files will be faster than a Penryn MBP.
     
  4. aaquib macrumors 65816

    aaquib

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2007
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada
    #4
    I think you should go for the MB 2.0. At $830, you're getting an awesome deal and I think you'll find it works more than better for your needs. Plus, if you decide you need a MBP down the road, the MB will easily sell for over the price you paid.
     
  5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2008
    Location:
    Thule GL @ the TOW
    #5
    ...if your comfortable that is isn't damaged and its less than a year, put apple care on it (the MB) and your covered...
     
  6. Commonmind macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2009
    #6
    I wholeheartedly agree. That's a fantastic deal, and although you may get some better rendering times out of a MBP, the differences will likely be negligible when you consider how much extra you would have to pay in order to see those differences. And as another poster said, if workflow does become an issue, the resell value on the MB is more than adequate and almost justifies the investment.
     
  7. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

    Patriks7

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2008
    #7
    Wow, that's a pretty nice deal! But if you already have all those machines (in your sig) why not just add a MacPro to the list? :p
     
  8. arthursiew macrumors 6502

    arthursiew

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2008
    Location:
    SF Bay Area

Share This Page