Worth Putting Mountain Lion on Mid 2007 iMac?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by ajo, Jul 26, 2012.

1. ajo macrumors 6502

Jan 28, 2006
    We have a recent macbook pro anyway, so it will be going on there. But was just wondering if I will be gaining much by installing on the mid 2007 iMac?

2. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

Feb 5, 2008
    I have a mid 2007 iMac too and I did a test install of ML on a seperate partition and it was much more fluid than Lion.

The stuttering I used experience with Launchpad and Mission Control etc were all but gone and Safari 6 was a big improvement.

I would advise a full, fresh install though. I've never had any joy with upgrade-installs.
  3. ajo thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 28, 2006

I have backed up using Time Machine. Will all my programs that I no longer have the CD's/DVD's for get reinstalled from the backup?
  4. El Awesome macrumors 6502

El Awesome

Jul 21, 2012
    I do not recommend installing it. I own a 2007 iMac with a 2.4Ghz C2D and 4GB RAM and it is much slower than Lion used to be.

But you have TM, if you don't mind spending the money then give it a test. TM Backups will work without reinstalling anything. You just boot up and it's fine again.
  5. peglegjack macrumors 6502

Jul 30, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    This. You should definitely do it.
  6. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

Feb 5, 2008
    Any programs that are in your app folder will be there with Mountain Lion if you do an upgrade-install or restore your settings and applications etc from a Time Machine back-up HOWEVER...

If your apps/programs AREN'T Mountain Lion compatible they'll be bunged in a seperate folder. You'll get a little warning once you're restored from TM or whatever saying "Some programs/items were incompatible..."

Make sure the stuff you need will run on ML before you install it if they're essential to you.
  7. bradengelmann macrumors newbie

Jul 22, 2008
    Installed 10.8 last night on my 24" Core 2 Duo from August of 2007. Confirmed with Apple on the serial number that it was eligible. Did a clean install. Still early but so far machine is snappy; Leopard was previous OS and that was a bit sluggish. A few things to attach to it yet but so far I'm impressed.

In short I highly recommend it for this group of Macs. My machine is upgraded to 3 GB RAM and a 500 GB hard drive otherwise stock from that introduction date.

Oh--highly recommend CLEAN install. Not upgrade.