Worth replacing a bottom case on CD MacBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by davidg4781, Apr 9, 2012.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I have a 2006 CD MacBook. Other than the bottom case having a few stress cracks, like most do that I've seen, it's in great condition.

I saw on ifixit I can buy a bottom case for $80-100. Would it be worth this cost for my resale value? I'd probably do the work myself which would probably be pretty time consuming.

The cracks really don't affect functionality, just doesn't look good.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's not going to add $80-100 to the resale value of a 6 year old computer, if that's what you're asking.

3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Maybe not so much that, but would it add some value?

Although I'd have a harder time selling it if I can't stuff everything back in there.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Well I guess it depends on if you separate the cost of replacing the bottom case and adding on to the resale price. IMO, if you spend $80 on the bottom case and that raises the price from $300 to $350 (+$50), that's not worth it. You may feel differently.

5. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

It's a 6 years old macbook, just sell it as is, any cracks in the bottom should be .. well ... acceptable. It's better if your buyer is the one who replace the bottom, you don't need to take the hassle. Like miles said up there, if replacing your MB bottom cost $80 and it only makes you able to sell it for $50 more, it's not worth it.

Sell it for what it is for a fair price, it's the buyer's problem to decide later and fix what necessary. If he cares at all.

6. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Last year my old MB (from 2006, waaay out of warranty) had cracks on the bottom and the top cases and the Apple Store replaced all the plastics for me as it is a known issue. Maybe you should give AppleCare a call.

7. glutenenvy macrumors regular

glutenenvy

Why replace it if you have found a buyer for the unit? Are you purely looking for the experience and the risk? Anytime you open a notebook, or other miniaturized computer, and replace much more than memory or hard drives you risk destroying an important connector or cable. In some cases you can solder those back but not always for various reasons.

8. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

So they replaced not only the keyboard part but like the bottom thing? I have cracks on the left side USB ports and the right side screws. That part they replaced too?

I didn't know they were even thinking of replacing those. I've had my keyboard part replaced about 3 or 4 times, last time was about six months ago.