Worth replacing a gen 2 Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by SamVilde, Oct 9, 2017.

1. SamVilde macrumors regular

SamVilde

We have a 2nd generation Apple TV (MC572LL/A) hooked up to a nothing special TV, and with our TV needs, the television is good enough and does not need replacing. The Apple TV, however, is horrible, and has to be restarted every single time we want to watch something on HBO or Netflix or whatever - streams airplayed from our phones or computers crash again and again and again. We spend most of our TV watching (or trying to watch) time cursing Apple and restarting either the device or the steam.

I really don't know much about the TV or the Apple TV, but I wonder if the failure rate might be simply because the Apple TV is old, and its oldness is making it dodgy, and if we got a newer one we would spend less time swearing?

Or should we look for something else entirely?

2. bigcahuna12c macrumors member

bigcahuna12c

Coming from someone who has owned every ATV since the start. I would highly recommend upgrading to at least ATV 4th generation. It is night & days faster, movies load faster, better UI by a longshot. Plus you get the app store. I have 4 of the 4th generation myself & have given them as gifts to family members. Myself as well as all family members are beyond pleased.

3. sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

Oh yeah, get a new one. Based on what you're saying, you should be fine with an ATV4, no need for an ATV5.

It's probably just old and struggling - you'll enjoy the new capabilities of the ATV4!

4. SamVilde thread starter macrumors regular

SamVilde

What are the differences? I don’t think we need any more apps (? What do they even do?). We just want to stream and airplay without crashes and resets. If you’re recommending to get the newer model because it will do more, I don’t know that we need that.

What do I need to know about the tv in making my decision? This is my husband’s tv and Apple TV (existing from before I met him), and I’m guessing there are compatibility issues to think about.

5. Robnsn2015 macrumors 6502

The 2nd generation isn't even being supported. It doesn't have an app store and many services such as Hulu aren't updating their apps on anything older than a 4th generation. There shouldn't be any compatibility issues as long your current TV supports HDMI.

6. SamVilde thread starter macrumors regular

SamVilde

The requirements page says we need a HDTV3. How do I know if we have that?

7. Robnsn2015 macrumors 6502

Sorry, I don't see a requirement for HDTV3. I just see HDTVs with HDMI. I will assume you already have an HDTV because the 2nd generation was also made for HDTV.

Also, it might be prudent to consider a basic Roku stick or Amazon stick instead of an Apple TV. If you don't have any Apple-specific content and simply want to watch Netflix and HBO, the other options would be cheaper and possibly simpler.

8. priitv8 macrumors 68040

Where exactly do you see that requirement?

9. 2010mini macrumors 601

the "3" in HDTV was just there to point you to the notes at the bottom of the apple page. It is referring to HDCP which is digital copy protection. Meaning the Apple TV sends a signal to whatever device you connect it to, to verify it is authorized to receive digital protected content. The Apple TV 2 has the same thing, so you are good.

You asked what do you need apps for? well unlike the 2nd gen, the 4th gen has access to a lot more video content apps that can be authenticated with your cable tv provider. It also has Live TV streaming access via Sling TV, PSVue, DirectvNow and Hulu TV. Basically you can use the Apple TV 4th gen a cable box..... and play game too.

10. priitv8 macrumors 68040

I see! You are both talking about HDMI and not HDTV.

11. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Yes, your "2" is probably just worn out. It cost about $99 and you've probably used it for about 5+ years now. Retire it.

Any newer model is going to be faster & better.

A "4" or "5" is going to give you access to apps beyond the smallish group to which you are accustomed. Find even one or two more that do something you like, and you'll appreciate the upgrade all that much more.

And if the TV is pretty old too, there will come a time when it conks. When you go out to the stores to replace it, you'll be looking at mostly 4K sets with increasingly fewer 1080p options. So if your replacement :apple:TV is already ready for your next set, you can get the most out of it with the existing one but then just drop in the new one and get even more out of it.

12. SamVilde thread starter macrumors regular

SamVilde

Thanks for your feedback - I've ordered the refurbished Gen 4. If it doesn't work magic, I'll look on for something else.

I think one person in our family believes that if we're not asking device X to do anything new or more complex, device X should last forever. The other person in our family thinks that if device X has to keep communicating with different and newer protocols, eventually device X won't be able to keep up, and will need replacement to do the same damn thing in communication with different communicators.

We'll see who's right on Thursday.
    :)

13. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Really, it should come down to as little as one new app not available on the old model. One app that is really enjoyed makes the difference. And there are a pretty good ones you and yours have never had on the old :apple:TV. It might be something as simple as some game, or some other video app, or some niche app. Or maybe it will be several new apps not available on the old one.

But if "they" "win", you have what- (I think it's) 14 days to return the new one.