Price Advice worth replacing battery before reselling?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by watchthesky, Nov 3, 2016.

1. watchthesky macrumors newbie

watchthesky

i'm heavily debating treating myself to the new macbook pro model for christmas and therefore selling my current macbook pro. how much would a new battery affect resale value? enough to be worth dropping $200 just to turn around and sell, or should i let the new owner worry about a battery? it's a mid 2012 15" retina in otherwise fantastic condition but the battery has over 1000 cycles on it now.

2. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Let the user repair it. Whatever your cost your will not be able to make it back.

3. Pearl Wisdom macrumors member

You won't get the money back for the repair, assuming that your computer is currently working and not showing some problem like a bulging battery. You'll get buyers who might want to replace the battery sometime, but also some buyers might like to pay a lower price for a computer with a weak battery because they will have it plugged into a charger most of the time. I've got a 2011 Macbook Pro with only 300 cycles on the battery because I have it plugged in most of the time.

4. watchthesky thread starter macrumors newbie

watchthesky

thanks for the advice. i was leaning towards letting the new user worry about it since it isn't really an issue if you keep it plugged in (which i do now) and it still lasts a few hours on battery power alone. if battery replacements were cheaper on retina models it'd be a no-brainer but alas...