Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
I have been getting a critical battery error in my 13" 2013 rMBP. Apple care has run out on it.

I has quoted me $500 to replace the battery, $350 for a flat rate fee, and $100 for labor.

I really can't afford or like the new MacBooks with the touch bars and like the extra ports this mode has built in.

Is paying apple $500 for a new battery worth it?

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
You can get a used 2015 13 for a similar price, so I'd say no.

Good call, but then you might also need a new battery again soon on the 2015.

My gut feel is that if the 2013 is working well, I'd refresh the battery and keep it for another few years if it will suit your purposes.

Reactions: nouveau_redneck

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
That quote sounds really expensive, even for a MacBook Pro.

Here in Norway (where everything is notoriously pricey), changing the battery on that Mac would be around NOK 2000** including 25% VAT, covering the battery and labour at independent repair shops. That is roughly equivalent to USD230 (and if you subtract our VAT you should get that done for under $200).

** Links (in Norwegian): https://ihospital.no/macbatteri/ and https://www.appledoctor.no/Bytte-batteri (disclaimer: I've not tried any of these two, but it was the first two appearing in a web search.)

Edit: iFixit sells a battery for the Late 2013 MBP for $89.99: https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/MacBook-Pro-13-Inch-Retina-Late-2013-Mid-2014-Battery/IF123-053?o=1

Last edited:

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
I have been getting a critical battery error in my 13" 2013 rMBP. Apple care has run out on it.

I has quoted me $500 to replace the battery, $350 for a flat rate fee, and $100 for labor.

I really can't afford or like the new MacBooks with the touch bars and like the extra ports this mode has built in.

Is paying apple $500 for a new battery worth it?

Are you in the US? If so, the price for "service and repair" is $199 (they don't say "replacement" but I think that's some lawyer-speak there).
https://support.apple.com/mac/repair/service

I do remember reading that people in the US were quoted higher prices but I don't know how those people resolved the matter. If you're in the US, check to see if the quote includes anything else besides the battery or if there's something else that explains the high cost. If not, you can call Apple to ask about the discrepancy. If you went to an Apple store, you can try an Apple-authorized repair provider or the you can do the reverse if you went to a non-Apple shop.

If it is $500, that's better spent on a new(er) computer.

Reactions: Ener Ji

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
I did this over the phone, I may make an appointment with at an apple store and see how that works out.

I remember originally getting a quote of $199 for a battery, I was just waiting for my vacation when I won't need it.

I found the $90 battery kit from iFix it. Anyone have good luck doing it themselves?

I have done brain surgery on a 2012 mac mini, its nerve racking, but have done it 4 times at this point and it does get easier. I may consider the iFix it kit.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
I did this over the phone, I may make an appointment with at an apple store and see how that works out.

I remember originally getting a quote of $199 for a battery, I was just waiting for my vacation when I won't need it.

I found the $90 battery kit from iFix it. Anyone have good luck doing it themselves?

I have done brain surgery on a 2012 mac mini, its nerve racking, but have done it 4 times at this point and it does get easier. I may consider the iFix it kit.

I was able to replace the battery in my 2013 rMBP easily using braided fishing line to cut through the factory adhesive strips holding the battery to the upper case assembly. All you do is simply move the fishing line back and forth in a sawing like motion. No messy solvents are needed and you eliminate the risk of any solvent moving into other parts of the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.