Worth replacing Logic Board $495? or sell

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Teacherman, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Teacherman macrumors newbie

HI
    I have a friend whose G4 Macbook logicboard failed. my understanding it will be about $450 to replace. I am trying to help him decide if it is worth replacing.

If he replaces this part, will there be other repairs ahead (such as screen failure). I have had an G3 Ibook dual USB 500mz with no problems for 7 years. But I have read G4 macbooks may have troubles.

If he chooses not to repair it, what value is any on EBay?

thanks.

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

The main problem, is that you will not know if it is only a logic board issue until the logic board is replaced.

After that, it may run fine or others issues may come up. Sometimes it's a crap shoot.

Regarding a selling price, check out eBay for similar items that are sold for parts.

3. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

depending on the speed, the Logic Board in the iBook might be feasibly replaceable, but at $500 it might be wiser to look at refurbished MacBooks on Apple's web page early in the morning when deals are there. Sometimes you can grab MacBooks for as low as $749.

As far as it's broken resale value, its really up to how its marketed. If you just say "broken iBook, no reserve, as is" you'll get a low price, but if you say "iBook with failed Logic Board, Screen perfect, plastics in good condition, optical and hard drive working, great for parts!" you will bring in substantially more. I'd say even up to 250-300 if someone is really desperate for a certain part, as people on eBay tend to be very quick to pull the trigger on things seemingly priced too high.

4. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Sell it and buy a refurb MB...not worth $500 (plus tax and shipping) to fix a 3+ year old computer.

5. sabregreen macrumors member

Honestly, that is not worth replacing. The G4 models whether you are talking about the iBook, Powerbook, Powermac, etc are not really that great when it comes down to performance. As suggested, put that money to a refurb Macbook. Much more worth the money.

6. Teacherman thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

thank you for the helpful comments. I appreciate the input!