Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biblicalfury

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2007
I'm planning on upgrading my iBook (G4, 800 MHz, 640 MB RAM, 40 GB hard drive) to a MacBook shortly. I had planned to sell the iBook, probably on eBay, but prices are quite low (~$100). Hardly seems worth it. Can I expect a decent return on the computer, or is it just too old?

CRAZYBUBBA

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Toronto/Houston
I would buy your ibook in a heartbeat for that price.

Your problem lies in the fact that your computer is not supported for osx leopard, infact unlike tiger, leopard will not even install if your system is less than 867mhz.

I would say keep it. Use your ibook for places where you don't want to take you macbook.

Alternatively, make a feeler on the MR marketplace, you might get lucky.

I'm planning on upgrading my iBook (G4, 800 MHz, 640 MB RAM, 40 GB hard drive) to a MacBook shortly. I had planned to sell the iBook, probably on eBay, but prices are quite low (~$100). Hardly seems worth it. Can I expect a decent return on the computer, or is it just too old?

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
If you aren't going to use it then why not sell it. Chances are that there will be someone on here that can find a use for it.

ClassicBean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Torontoland
I sold my G3 iBook 500 Mhz last month for $275 on Craigslist. So much better than eBay.

One thing to consider is if your machine has an airport card. Those things are hard to come by (the original cards, not the extreme cards) and can go for as much as $100 alone on eBay. So, if someone wants to lowball you, consider removing the airport card to meet them halfway. You'll be able to get a lot for the card by itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.