worth still continuing importing to iPhoto?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrMister111, Oct 11, 2014.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

Have an iMac, busy trawling through '000s and '000s of photos, deleting what are no good, and importing into iPhoto to try and get some sort of sorting done, using latest iPhoto from the app store v9.5 I think.

Now I know iPhoto is being replaced and a new photos app is coming (when!?!) But should I stop doing this sorting on iPhoto for now?

Will the new photo app allow iPhoto library import? I don't want to spend time importing sms basic sorting if it won't.

Any more info on the photos app that is replacing iPhoto? What is happening to iLife suite? It's been shrinking for a few years now, losing iWeb, iDVD etc.

Thanks

2. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

It would make sense that Apple will allow a smooth migration from iPhoto to Photos. It would be photo-gate if they didn't support that migration.

Looks like iTunes and iMovie are the last surviving iLife apps. I wonder which one will be replaced next?

3. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm not really editing it's more for the sorting I'm after so I can find photos tbh.

You're right they surely must be a way to import into the new app, even a temporary program to convert if not direct inn the program.

iTunes although probably originally part of iLife is separate I think now as it does so much with the store, backups etc and seems to be on its own.

Think I'll keep going then with iPhoto to at least get my '000s off pics in at least so they then become backed up by time capsule as they are just sitting in an external HDD at mo!

4. MacTCE macrumors 6502

During the Keynote presentation they announced then when Photos was released you would be able to directly import from iPhoto or Aperture. So I would say it's safe to keep using iPhoto. I'm still using Aperture until it comes out then I'm going to make the decision to stick with Photos or move to Lightroom.

5. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Take a look at the new Photos app if you have iOS. That should give you a bit of a preview. If you don't like the way Apple is going, maybe time to consider something else. Otherwise, stay the course. Just maybe take a look at the other alternatives just to see what choices you might have instead. iPhoto is pretty minimal, even just for organizing.

6. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Just tried to open up iPhoto on my iPhone 6 and said it wanted to migrate to photos. Let it but then just opened up (what I could see) is the photos I've took.

Where are ask the options gone from iPhoto? Why won't it open now?

Thought iPhoto was decent at organising, and not all that good for editing? I only really want to get my photos in some sort of order tbh as at the moment they are just in folders on a HDD.

7. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Because Apple takes customers for granted. they decided for whatever reason to not allow iPhoto to run on iOS 8 and to replace it with Photos that includes only around 20% of iPhoto's functionality :/

I use iPhoto on the desktop for organisation but photoshop for editing, and I use iPhoto on my iPad (I downgraded to iOS 7 to continue using iPhoto) for editing and organisation (it excelled at both)

8. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

I didn't realise until yesterday that iPhoto was disabled in iOS8. Seems a backward step as the photos "app" only has a few editing options whereas iPhoto on iOS7 had a lot of options.

I'll only be doing basic editing eventually and not before I've imported all my pictures, I want them all in iPhoto as then it's easier to backup as well, i.e. just the iPhoto file itself which then backs up all pictures.