Worth taking the tethered jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by RonDeGregorio, Jul 20, 2011.

1. RonDeGregorio macrumors member

RonDeGregorio

Hey all,

I am a newbie here, and this is my first Iphone!

I made the mistake of plugging into itunes and accepting the upgrade before searching the internets on the current jailbreak technology.

My question is, I know that there will probably NOT be an untethered JB until iOS5, so I was wondering if you all thought it would be worth my time to jailbreak it, even if it is tethered.

I can't imagine I will let my battery run down often, if ever. I know that even if it does, I just simply have to re-jailbreak it using redsn0w.

Am I able to remove a jailbreak if I no longer want it?

And, when iOS5 does release, and I upgrade, will it remove the jailbreak altogether?

Thanks all,
    Ron

2. agentmikeyd macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.1.15738/25.677; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Use jailbreakme.com. Works great

3. labman, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

labman macrumors 604

labman

there are several untethered up to 4.3.3 currently you can jb via redsn0w, greenposi0n, pwnage tools, Jailbreakme, Snowbreeze Iclarfied has tutorials for all of them. youtube has video's as well. read up on it before you do it is my advice. tons of threads about batter life restoring themes apps etc. honestly almost every question is already answered some where. Oh and the stickies up top are cool to read too.

4. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

Good links labman. I'm guessing the 'commercial' sites claiming to JB 4.3.4 are total BS...

5. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Since you're brand new to the iPhone scene, and you don't already have money invested in some of the better JB tweaks/apps out there, I'd say no, a tethered JB isn't worth it. You reboot more often than you think you will (it's been recommended by those in the know that a JB'd phone should be rebooted once a day) and the risk that something goes sideways while you're away from a computer just isn't really worth it to me. And the version of redsn0w for 4.3.4 isn't recommended for use by anyone other than kernel hackers anyway--wait at least until they announce it's stable for average users.

Personally, I'd sit tight and wait for an untethered JB--with any luck, on iOS 5. Just keep an eye on the Dev Team's blog for info, and never again accept an update from Apple until you KNOW it's OK to do so.

6. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

If you bought the iPhone used, hook it up to TinyUmbrella and see if it has any SHSH saved. With the SHSH saved you can downgrade to a previous firmware.

7. RonDeGregorio thread starter macrumors member

RonDeGregorio

Thanks guys,

I guess I will just sit and wait for an untethered version or iOS 5.

Thanks for all of your input!

8. L I G H T I N G macrumors regular

Untethered iOS5 is definetly the option to go, tethered JB is just too risky

Or as another user mentioned, you could try downgrading, that way you can have a untethered JB till iOS 5.

9. RonDeGregorio thread starter macrumors member

RonDeGregorio

I would consider downgrading, but I honestly do not know how.

As I said, it is brand new out of box and I don't know exactly how to downgrade, though I am sure there are tutorials out there?

10. iFiend macrumors 65816

If it is new then you're not going to be able to downgrade because you do not have SHSHs saved.

Your only option ATM is a tethered jailbreak using redsn0w. Unlike other posters, I feel that a tethered jailbreak is just fine (especially since it is your only option, and no JB sucks :cool:). Once a day, when I am in front of my PC, I reboot tethered, just to keep the system sharp.

Word of wisdom: load up redsn0w, and the appropriate firmware, onto a thumb drive, and keep it with you always. That way if you're away from home you are able to reboot into a jailbroken state where ever you are (assuming you can get to a computer of course ;))

11. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

They could always try 4.3.3 as Apple may still be signing it but that is doubtful given the exploits that 4.3.4 fixed but you never know.

12. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Apple has stopped signing 4.3.3

13. iFiend macrumors 65816

This.

And that is why I told the OP he's SOL and will have to have it tethered.

I got a replacement phone yesterday, on 4.3.3, and was unable to save my blobs.

14. sbddude macrumors 6502a

If it's still on 4.3.3 you can save the blobs with iFaith. I did it yesterday

15. RonDeGregorio thread starter macrumors member

RonDeGregorio

Should I go ahead and do the tethered jailbreak, I have one question.
    If I were to do it, but eventually wanted to remove the jailbreak, how do I go about doing that without losing all of my songs, apps, contacts, etc.?

Thanks!

16. TC25 macrumors 68020

The same way with a non-tehtered jb.

1. Back up your phone up in iTunes.
    2. Factory restore
    3. Restore from back up taken in Step 1

Why would you think it'd be different?

17. RonDeGregorio thread starter macrumors member

RonDeGregorio

I wouldn't know either way, actually lol.

This is my first iPhone!

18. iFiend macrumors 65816

Seriously? How is that even possible?

19. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

iFaith by iH8Sn0w, saves the shsh blobs for whichever iOS your device is currently on.

20. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I wouldn't bother with the tethered jailbreak. Too much hassle.

If you do end up jailbreaking, just restore to iOS 5 to remove any traces of the jailbreak.

21. RonDeGregorio thread starter macrumors member

RonDeGregorio

Well I tried jailbreaking, even if it was going to be tethered.

I ran redsn0w, but on the "waiting for reboot" my phone did nothing. It lit up a little, but never powered on.

I am not sure why that happened, but I don't know how to get around it.

Any tips?

22. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Hold the home and power buttons until the screen goes black and then it will reboot.

23. RonDeGregorio thread starter macrumors member

RonDeGregorio

Thanks for the reply, I had gotten that much, and have been able to reboot, but I just can't get it to reboot on its own with Redsn0w. It seems like it may not work, but im not sure why!