Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davmcn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Hey,

I know there's tones of posts about this, I just wanted to know. Is paying 250 for the 2.3 instead of the 2.2 ? I know the graphics card is the same, this is just a slightly faster processor, Or am I wrong ?

Dave

sandylp

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
Hey,

I know there's tones of posts about this, I just wanted to know. Is paying 250 for the 2.3 instead of the 2.2 ? I know the graphics card is the same, this is just a slightly faster processor, Or am I wrong ?

Dave

I found this on one of the other threads:

"It's not just the 100MHz speed boost, it's also the greater L3 cache.

The primary difference, aside from the ever-so-slightly increased clock, is that the 2.2 Ghz chip is the Core i7 2720QM processor, where the 2.3 Ghz is the Core i7 2820QM processor... you can see the comparison at Intel's site here: http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=52227,50067,

The 2820QM has 8MB Shared L3 Cache, vs 6MB in the 2720QM; additionally, the 2820QM will turbo 3.4 Ghz instead of 3.3 Ghz."

macagain

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2002
I used a very simple, though probably ridiculous test... could I think of a better way to spend $250 or was there something else I'd rather have than the extra 0.1 Ghz (or optimistically 4.55% performance improvement)? I came up with lots of other things I prefer to have for $250, so I passed on it...

On the hi-rez, I couldn't think of a better way to spend $100-150, so I went with it. $500 for SSD... well that was a little harder, but ultimately I thought the $500 made a significant enough diff... (like a < 3 petal spin boot!) so I went with it too.

The $250 cpu upgrade might have brought me a 2s improvement on my compiles which run around 45s (down from around 1m 50s on my 2.53 C2D)... it did not pass the test.

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
Depending what you do, the larger cache will make a difference. I see a substantial difference with the 2.3 over the 2.2 that colleagues have when working large databases. For some users, getting the 2.3 is a waste of money, and for many people, the 2.0 is more than substantial if you aren't worried about graphics (which I am not but wanted the 8m 2.3 and figured why not get it all since I use my comp so much). Also, the CPU in the 2.3, the 2820QM as stated, actually costs about $200 more than the 2.2, making it a near $700 CPU. Least you know if you get it that it is a better value than the former C2D $200 'upgrades' that were literally like $20 from one chip to the other.

It seems the 2.3 is about a 5% performance over the 2.2...it may not sound like a lot but for computers that isn't anything to laugh at IMO, as a 30% speed increase is often hailed as being revolutionary. $250 for 5% speed increase IMO isn't too badly priced, especially since the CPU you are getting truly costs $200+ to buy. If you are on a budget, absolutely get the 2.2 or 2.0 as these things run circles around virtually any computer made to date and you won't be hurting for performance. If you don't mind spending a bit more, get the 2.3...either way however, get a SSD :)

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
The retail price difference between the two chips is about $200. Is anything else upgraded with the 2.3?

davmcn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Depending what you do, the larger cache will make a difference. I see a substantial difference with the 2.3 over the 2.2 that colleagues have when working large databases. For some users, getting the 2.3 is a waste of money, and for many people, the 2.0 is more than substantial if you aren't worried about graphics (which I am not but wanted the 8m 2.3 and figured why not get it all since I use my comp so much). Also, the CPU in the 2.3, the 2820QM as stated, actually costs about $200 more than the 2.2, making it a near $700 CPU. Least you know if you get it that it is a better value than the former C2D $200 'upgrades' that were literally like $20 from one chip to the other.

It seems the 2.3 is about a 5% performance over the 2.2...it may not sound like a lot but for computers that isn't anything to laugh at IMO, as a 30% speed increase is often hailed as being revolutionary. $250 for 5% speed increase IMO isn't too badly priced, especially since the CPU you are getting truly costs $200+ to buy. If you are on a budget, absolutely get the 2.2 or 2.0 as these things run circles around virtually any computer made to date and you won't be hurting for performance. If you don't mind spending a bit more, get the 2.3...either way however, get a SSD :)

I'm a student doing video editing 24/7, and I manage a lot of data daily. Think it's worth it ?

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
I'm a student doing video editing 24/7, and I manage a lot of data daily. Think it's worth it ?

Personally, yes. But I am biased as I also employ the theology of 'expensive computers will usually be kept for longer periods of time, so you might as well buy the most advanced parts that cannot be replaced to maximize the time it remains modern, hence theoretically extending it's realistic service life'.

For what I do, the 2.3 makes quite a difference, which I assume is related to the higher cache.

MacBookPr0

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

IMO don't do it, it not a big enough diff to justify

cirus

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Spend the money somewhere else (screen).

Minimal speed difference. It will run hotter too under load. 5% speed difference is really not that much. Instead of something taking 1 hour to do it will take an hour and 4 minutes.

Use the money for the next computer.

When sandy bridge came out the most basic version i7 2630qm blew the socks off the most advanced previous version i7 940XM (for quad core processors). It was as good in the tests or better. The lowest quad core from the second generation beat the best quad core from the previous generation.
Ivy Bridge is supposed to be 20% faster than sandy bridge for computing the integrated graphics are to be 30% better.

But whatever, if you need it you need it.

If I really needed the horsepower, I would build a cheap desktop PC but this may not be possible.

Last edited:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Spend the money somewhere else (screen).

Minimal speed difference. It will run hotter too under load. 5% speed difference is really not that much. Instead of something taking 1 hour to do it will take an hour and 4 minutes.

Use the money for the next computer.

When sandy bridge came out the most basic version i7 2630qm blew the socks off the most advanced previous version i7 940XM (for quad core processors). It was as good in the tests or better. The lowest quad core from the second generation beat the best quad core from the previous generation.
Ivy Bridge is supposed to be 20% faster than sandy bridge for computing the integrated graphics are to be 30% better.

But whatever, if you need it you need it.

If I really needed the horsepower, I would build a cheap desktop PC but this may not be possible.

You bring up a good point about heat. I've looked at the 2.3 in both the 15" and 17" at two different Apple stores and in both cases the 2.3 felt noticeably hotter to the touch than the 2.2 or 2.0.

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
My 2.3 is the coolest running laptop I have ever owned...chillin at 131 now and I am doing regression analysis on the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS)...with all 800,000+ values...

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
If there is already a TON (or as you put it, tones) of posts about this, why else do you need to know? If I recall, most said the money is not worth it and that it can be better spent elsewhere.

I think paying for a spell checker or grammar checker may be worth it.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
Never thought much about the heat as I've compared max temps with various 2.2 in the repasting thread and 88C is usually my max with my 2.3

adrian1480

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2010
NO.

it's not worth it unless you're doing something that constantly maxes the processor.

those who can benefit:

-Engineers who work in AutoCAD or similar
-Film editors who spend a lot of time working in Premiere/Final Cut
-Audio professionals who work with dozens of audio tracks simultaneously
-Consumers who spend a lot of time encoding/transcoding audio/video
-Graphics professionals who work with Maya/3DSMax or similar

I might be missing a few niche communities, but that's really it. If you don't fall into one of those categories, you're wasting money by buying a faster processor. Don' do it.

The biggest upgrade you can make to any computer these days is by adding more RAM and a SSD drive.

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
Personally, yes. But I am biased as I also employ the theology of 'expensive computers will usually be kept for longer periods of time, so you might as well buy the most advanced parts that cannot be replaced to maximize the time it remains modern, hence theoretically extending it's realistic service life'.

For what I do, the 2.3 makes quite a difference, which I assume is related to the higher cache.

+1

I have to agree with NickZac.

You know, about every time I see a post by NickZac I think 'that is exactly what I would have written'. :) Strange, either I am thinking more like you or you are thinking more like me (God, help you!).

-P

davmcn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
NO.

it's not worth it unless you're doing something that constantly maxes the processor.

those who can benefit:

-Engineers who work in AutoCAD or similar
-Film editors who spend a lot of time working in Premiere/Final Cut
-Audio professionals who work with dozens of audio tracks simultaneously
-Consumers who spend a lot of time encoding/transcoding audio/video
-Graphics professionals who work with Maya/3DSMax or similar

I might be missing a few niche communities, but that's really it. If you don't fall into one of those categories, you're wasting money by buying a faster processor. Don' do it.

The biggest upgrade you can make to any computer these days is by adding more RAM and a SSD drive.

2.3Ghz it is.

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
If for no other reason, it seems that the 2.3 runs the coolest of all of the MBPs judging by what I have been reading on here...

you're wasting money by buying a faster processor. Don' do it.

mmmmmmmmmmmm...

2.3Ghz it is.
Rock On! :D

+1

I have to agree with NickZac.

You know, about every time I see a post by NickZac I think 'that is exactly what I would have written'. :) Strange, either I am thinking more like you or you are thinking more like me (God, help you!).

-P

We are Mac Homies...it's a bond with unusual dynamics that is poorly understood but still fun :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.