Worth the extra $30 for 4GB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by benlee, Dec 2, 2007.

1. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

on a pre-SR MBP that will only use 3.3 GB? instead of getting 2x1 +1x1.?

Thanks

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Your question is kind of vauge, but if it only costs 30$ more dollars to have 3.3 gigs and dual channel, I would go for it. If it was more than 30$ though, I wouldn't bother.

3. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

If your annual adjusted gross income is more than 21k. Then yes. Its worth it. Why wonder a year from now whether your $30 additional would have prevented the dreaded spinning beach ball you have been staring at for 2 minutes; wondering if you should force quit, losing all your current progress.

:wipes ass with a $20 bill then a $10. In that order:

4. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

hahaha...Thanks....I was looking for the formula...seems you have found it.

5. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

pay $30 for 300MB more recognisable RAM?

I'm not going to dignify that with an answer...

6. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

OK.... thanks for being so helpful

7. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

I think the dual channel is more important than the 300 MB. I dunno how much of a difference it will make, maybe 5-8% or something, but I think it's worth it for the price of 6 starbucks coffees.

8. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I can dignify that.... 9.1% more RAM available + 5-8% matched pair = 14.1-17.1% performance increase particularily when in Studio or Graphic intense applications.

9. elcid macrumors 6502

To simplify the last poster (who was thinking the same thing when I was reading it) 2gb and 1gb sticks wont get you dual channel. So he is getting the additional 300 MB and also getting dual channel capabilities.

10. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Oh, very well then. I didn't realise the performance would be noticeable enough to warrant getting 2 x 2GB that wouldn't be fully used. 'Specially as the OP didn't sound like the most flush of people. :D

11. DaLurker macrumors 6502

12. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

Yeah, do it, you can always use it when you upgrade to a SR chipset in a few weeks:D

13. dewey decibel macrumors member

I'm glad you posted this as I'm wondering the same thing myself. Prices for 4Gb of RAM are so low right now compared to what they've been.

Here's some OWC bench tests if that helps you at all:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Memory_Benchmark/Apple_MacBook/

It basically shows that 3Gb is superior to a matched 2Gb. And while 4Gb is a bit better, they advise it's not worth the price (but that was probably written back when a single 2Gb chip was $150+). Myself, I still can't decide, but the RAM I was thinking about purchasing has just gone out of stock.

14. feyn-man macrumors regular

I don't think dual channel is that important, especially for the non-SR.

15. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

You are a real joy. What does the most flush of people mean?

Maybe you shouldn't post something if you don't know what you are talking about. Thats not too flush.

Back on topic: Thanks all for the input. I'll probably end up getting the 2x2GB just because $30 isn't very much to spend on better performance (no matter how minimal)....overtime I'm sure it would be worth it.

16. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Holy hell, there is a lot of menstruation on these boards lately. You are asking a bunch of strangers if it's worth spending an additional $30 on something - YES it's safe to assume that amount of money means something to you. Don't be embarassed or offended about that.

This thread is about getting the most for your money, no? And it's been established that that extra $30 might make a noticeable amount of difference, so go for it.

Jeez.