Worth the extra memory in rMBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gadgetgirl85, May 22, 2014.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Am considering buying a 13" rMBP. I'll get a 128GB because I barely fill 50gb but am undecided to get 4gb or 8gb. Mainly will use it for iTunes, word processing, some statistical analysis, writing assignments etc.

2. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

What programs do you use for statistical analysis? To make it simple, for consumer tasks like movies, writing, iTunes, and web browsing, 4GB will last you for 4-5 years. If you are using data crunching programs weekly, 8GB will be useful. It is 100$, and more RAM can never hurt, but with the PCIE flash, consumer tasks will not take any more than 4GB of RAM for quite a while. I would mostly worry about your statistical analysis. I don't know what program you are using, how often you use it, and how large your files are. That should be the deciding factor between the two options.

Best,
    Matt

3. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Thank you. There's a 10% sale going here (not on BTO) so I was thinking of getting the 8gb 256gb model. Would that be ok to run windows on if I decided to in the future?

4. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Yes, and matter of fact I would highly recommend the 8GB/256GB model. It will be the best bang for your buck if you can afford it. I think the best price is on B&H photo. If you don't live in NY there is no sales tax.

Best,
    Matt

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Both 8 GB RAM and 256 GB SSD will offer you far more by way of performance than the more basic configuration. If you decide to run Windows, you will find yourself regretting not getting 256 SSD GB while you had the opportunity to do so.

It is not that the more basic model of computer cannot manage that workload - it is more that it will visibly labour at the task. Besides, the better equipped model is somewhat future-proofed given that apps and systems seem to become greedier for power and memory as time goes on.

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

For your needs get a macbook air. If you dont use the 256gb ssd then the 8/256 is overkill.

7. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Based on his profile, doesn't he already have a 2013 MBA?