Worth the Hassle?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ipodlover77, Sep 6, 2009.

1. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

hey guys, well the upgrade bug bit (in just three weeks wtf). I have the 13' macbook pro, and i was wondering if i should go through the hassle of selling it (with some extras) and get less than what i paid for, than shell out 150-250 more to buy the refurbished 15 inch with the gt graphics. what do you guys think? is it worth losing money on my original purchase than taking out more money from my pocket to upgrade a smart decision?
    i googled 9600m gt worth it but didnt get any def. answers.
    will the gt really be that much noticeable in like gaming (sims 3) or just a tad bit. so in other words, i would be paying for a bigger screen, graphics card, and processor but downgrading in HD (i upgraded my pro to the 320 blue).
    damn 14 day window. ugh.

2. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

I wouldn't ... I assume your not a big techy since you don't know about graphics cards or anything so I would assume your MBP would cover all of your needs, very fastly.

3. 7even macrumors 6502a

Just a thought, but if your apple store is cool and it's only been a week since the 14 day window, why not go there asap and explain your situation.. They may let you swap it and pay the difference (+ restocking?). I'm sure they won't mind if you want to spend more money at their store.

Otherwise I agree with the poster above; unless you have a special reason for wanting a larger screen, I'd stick with what you've got.

4. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

I am not entirely shore I understand your situation but... that said the 9600m gt will preform a LOT faster/better for gaming then the 9400m its about 2 to 3 times faster for gaming

5. ipodlover77 thread starter macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

thanks for the quick answers guys!
    its been 22 days.
    damn, its that stupid upgrade bug. once i saw that the refurbished 15 inch with the gt graphics card was 1299 my head started trying to figure out ways on getting it, even if it meant losing money.
    what a horrible habit smh.
    i mean, screen size, i could care less about, its just the graphics card part. will it make running games like sims 3 REALLY smooth? cause to be honest, its runs like ass on my mbp (settings have to be low to run smoothly)

6. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

My advice on your situation is this: Do you want that 15" mbp? If you do at all (even a little bit!) then I suggest you go through the hassle of returning your current one and possibly paying a restocking fee to get the 15".

If you don't then the back of your mind will get to you and trust me I know what thats like, I went through with it on my old PC desktop; my mind never let it go.

If its any consolidation I payed $2875 CAD for the uMBP 15" in april. At $1299 its definitely a deal. I would jump on that ASAP (before someone else does, which WILL happen).

7. ipodlover77 thread starter macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

see the only problem is im 22 days into the laptop and second, i did this whole craigslist sale last time where i sold my macbook and iphone 3g to a guy and he had to pay by letting me use his credit card to buy the mbp.

8. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

Oh... now that is somewhat of a problem... never thought about the payment options of selling it...

For payment on craigslit and kijiji I always follow one important rule and that is deal in cash but finding someone with over $1000 in cash is hard to come by.

Money orders are reliable, but if you wanna go that route PLEASE RESEARCH THEM and do don't get scammed.

NEVER accept personal cheques, they tend to "bounce" and then your out of luck.

As far as the 22 days over thing... you COULD go back to the apple store and talk to them nicely and explain why you really want the 15" and are willing to pay the restocking fee if necessary. I remember somewhere on Apples site where they will accept a return/refund within 30 days of purchase, however 10% restocking fees may apply. Dealing with apple is safer than craigslist IMHO, but craigslist could get you more money (more risky though).

If you payed $1300 for the 13" then a $130 restocking fee is nothing for putting your mind at rest, trust me its worth it in the long run as you will be happier.

9. handy388 macrumors newbie

10. ipodlover77 thread starter macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

well i realized, im probably not gonna do that. While the added size would be nice, i dont watch movies or do anything that requires a big screen.
    :( guess i wont be getting that graphics card.
    darn. oh well :eek:

11. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

A lot of people seem to think they need more than the actually do. From the sound of it, you're just fine with a 13".

I bought a 15" specifically for post production work, and to be honest, a 13" would've worked just fine, if only a bit small on the screen rez.

12. ipodlover77 thread starter macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

update.
    well i realized that beautiful 1299 price is for the previous gen macbook, with the non built in battery and no sd slot.
    so what do you guys think? is it a good idea to get rid of a 13' mid 09 mbp for a late 08 mbp? would the 15' suffer from having the less than stellar displays that the mbp has?
    and is built in battery and sd slot a real big deal?

13. raremage macrumors 6502a

When you say it is last gen, do you mean the one with the potentially flaky GPU? The previous-gen MBP's were well known for GPU failures. While typically Apple would fix the failure, is it worth the hassle?

The other quesiton is one of motivation - I'm not clear if you want the additional real estate (a good reason to upgrade) or think you need the dedicated GPU. If the latter, what is the driver there? The 9400 M will handle just about everything you care to throw at it.

14. ipodlover77 thread starter macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

im not sure about the gpu thing, did it have problems? i'll link you so you'll get a better idea of what im talking about :)
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB470?mco=Nzk2MTU1Ng
    i mean, the reason i want to upgrade is probably the overall additions are within grasp for a relatively low price (i'll have to put out 350 though).
    im hoping the 9600 gt will allow me to run sims at its highest setting.
    the thing im figuring out though if its still worth it when the 15inch is from last gen (late 08) and doesnt have the built in battery or sd slot.

15. raremage macrumors 6502a

Nope, that's not the one I am talking about. The one you linked to has the dual mode GPU, I'm not aware of that being a problem.
    If that's the case, you should probably do it
    no idea there, don't play sims. With WoW I get generally better performance in crowded places with the dedicated GPU enabled. On the other hand, I've actually accidentally left the 9400 active and played just fine on occasion tho, so I am not sure just how beneficial it is in real world application. I don't try to play with the settings turned all the way up, though, so YMMV.

In theory, of course, it is considerably superior.
    I think you'll find the display is just fine. Some consider the removable battery to be an advantage, others don't care and prefer the longer charge (I am in the latter school of thought, I never carried a spare anyway). As for the SD card, you have to decide if you actually use one for anything. If you snap photos all the time onto an SD, then you probably care. If you don't currently have a use for an SD card, then its just one more unused slot.

16. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Two impulse buys in a row, im sure this can only bring good results.

17. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

it is the "upgrade bug." anyone who claims to have that is, by default, entertaining a case of "want," not "need."

18. ipodlover77 thread starter macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

nicely put. hahaha
    like i dont even game like that but it would be nice (plus i want it also) to have a 9600gt, just in case :p