Worth the price ? Easy fix?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ih8reno, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

I'm looking to buy a used MacBook Pro which is a mid to late 2007 2.2GHZ. The seller says the battery blew up and now the mac won't turn on. It's for $40. Is it worth spending the cash to see if I can revive it? Also, is there anyone who believes they know why it won't turn on. She has tried booting it simply plugged in and it won't power up.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

For $40 why not but

Some macbooks just won't work without a battery, so you'd need a new battery for it.

It is also very likely that the battery leaked out and destroyed the insides if it "blew up" in which case you would be throwing $40 away. If you can get a look inside and see what damage has been done first it might be worth a look otherwise I wouldn't touch it.

3. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Yeah I'm very hesitant. Seller says she thinks it's because the battery is gone that its the reason it won't boot from a power adapter. I'm not convinced.

4. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Well, Picked it up today and got a spare battery. Machine works just fine. Took out the hdd and put in an older SSD I had and it is running better then new. Has 4gb Ram and 120gb data 2 ssd running OSX Yosemite.

5. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

That's a great deal you got. Enjoy it.