Worth the update on a 2007 iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrMister111, Jul 25, 2012.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

I have an iMac, a 2007 alu model with a 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 Gb RAM.

I know ML will run via the minimum specs required, but will it run ok?

Is this a release that not just adds features but also tightens up/improves the code?

I ask as last year I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion, purely as it was so cheap, and liked the full screen stuff. However I find that I get a lot more beach balls and slow downs that I ever used to. Few months ago I did a re-install from scratch and put on Lion, seems the same.

So is my iMac now just past it? (I'm not upgrading it yet as after a touch screen iMac, and my iPad 2 gets a lot of use now)

Cheers

2. Eddy Munn macrumors 6502

Eddy Munn

Many are stating how ML seems to run 'smoother' than Lion on their machines, I for one feel that it runs quicker on my Late 2008 MacBook Pro.
    It may be worth the upgrade.

3. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

That's what I'm hoping, it's not the price, it's a fantastic price, but I don't want it to bog my iMac down anymore.

Would be interested from people with older Macs who have ML, to see how it performs so far please.

4. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Just looked at the specs of ML, my iMac won't have a lot of features, didn't realise this, e.g. Airplay mirroring is iMac 2011 or newer... :(

Wondering now if its worth it at all, even at the price for my iMac?

5. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Anyone had anymore experience with ML on an older (mine 2007) iMac then please can give me any comments.

Little disappointed that quite a few of the features wont work on mine, so should I not just stop on Lion?

cheers

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I've updated to ML on my 2007 iMac and it's looking good so far.

I was never entirely happy with Lion. It was unstable (for me) up until 10.7.3 and even when it improved it always felt sluggish on my iMac. I'm seeing far fewer beach balls on ML and overall it just feels a whole lot smoother.

It's early days so far and I haven't tried everything out but it's well worth giving it a try, especially as it's so cheap. :)

7. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

I'd recommend doing a clean install if you do end up upgrading.

8. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

great thanks, so it seems a lot of the features are missing for us though, so what exactly does it give us 2007'ers..

As you say price is a non issue, its if it makes my 2007 iMac better/faster? not sure if Apple "did a SL" and cleaned the code a little to help?

9. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Been away so haven't upgraded yet, ready to pull the trigger though if it benefits me though, as I say price is non issue at £14!

So I've read MacFormat, and understand the missing features for my 2007 iMac, but would love to hear from other Macs of my age who have it and compared to the existing OS they had, be it Leopard, SL, or Lion.

If I install I think I'll start from scratch, fresh install as you say. All I need to backp is iPhoto and iTunes library, and a few files that I can just copy to a HDD. I think a fresh install of a new OS is always best.

What is v10.8.1 likely to fix? Is there any known bugs out on the current version that are troublesome?

Cheers

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I have a 2007 MBP not iMac sorry I have upgraded to ML from Lion and it looks good. Little improvement so far. I can deal with missing features anyway I can buy a new MBP next year! :apple:

11. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

You should defentetly upgrade to Moutain Lion, as it will run the same or even better.

Having said that, you may seriouslly consider also upgrade your iMac when a new one comes out later this year, as the ivy bridge/sandy bridge family is insanelly superior to the conroe family, it was a real leap.

The only reason why people with conroe macs are not upgrading hardware is because they either prefer to run Snow Leopard or happen to need a DVD drive, wich has been phased out in some current Mac models. In spite of that, a new iMac will probably still come with a superdrive, I would say Apple will keep it for one more generation.

12. Set845 macrumors regular

I installed ML on two mid 2007 iMacs, one with 4GB RAM the other with 3GB. They were running SL, skipped Lion. They both run ML just fine. It feels like SL really. No regrets at all. Go for it.

13. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok that's what I wanted to hear, I will go for it then. I want to do a clean install to so will backup my stuff and go for it.

Thanks

14. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

I'm waiting on an Air (13/8/256), have been thinking I'll keep my late 2007 iMac on SL until I learn ML and see how stable it is .... Would be good for compatibility and to extend the imac's life a bit to upgrade it .... But it might become confusing with missing features of ML, and that will probably increase in updates?