Worth the upgrade $? 11.6" air 2010 to 2012?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jhaber, Jun 11, 2012.

1. jhaber macrumors newbie

hi all, wanted to get input on this. last time I decided not to upgrade, what about now?

Question: what sort of performance difference would I see between these machines?

I never really notice much slowness with my current machine.

Its my main machine but I use it mostly for web/word occasionally parallels and visual studios. It gets hooked up to my two 24" monitors in my lab when I am at work.

also does anyone know what a used 2010 11.6" dual core 1.6 ghz w/ 4 gigs ram goes for?

2. rygamble macrumors regular

If it's still working for you, I wouldn't worry about upgrading. I got a new one because I need a lighter computer to carry to school every day.

3. sarah11918 macrumors member

The US apple store has a refurbished one of these (128GB) for $729.

That's my machine (also my primary machine), and I will be updating in the fall. I also passed on the 2011, but 512GB is even more than I expected the 11"s would get, and would mean that I could move a lot of files (and all my photos!) back to the machine.

Otherwise, I don't feel a need to upgrade, and might not have if the 2012 11"s maxed out at 256GB. But at this size, I can go back to everything on my machine and not need to keep pulling out the external for photos. I was hoping this refresh would be good enough to justify passing this machine down to a family member, and the 512GB did it for me.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

I noticed that Parallels was much faster on my 2011 than my 2010 MacBook Air. That would be the application where you would notice the biggest difference. The Core i5/i7 CPUs are a lot better at virtualization than the Core 2 Duos.

5. g808 macrumors regular

I decided to upgrade from my late 2010 model 11" MBP. This update improves my current processor (1.6 C2D), doubles my memory to 8GB, and hard drive to 256GB. What's not to love? :)