iPad Worth the upgrade from 5th to 7 gen iPad ?

*~Kim~*

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2013
UK
5th Gen to 7th gets you 1 processor gen later and 1GB extra ram. I think I’d be tempted to wait for the 8th for a later processor. I wouldn’t buy an A10 device when the A13 is out.

bobsamm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2019
5th Gen to 7th gets you 1 processor gen later and 1GB extra ram. I think I’d be tempted to wait for the 8th for a later processor. I wouldn’t buy an A10 device when the A13 is out.
7th isn’t that old, will be awhile for the 8th and it won’t have anywhere near a A13, we are talking budget iPads here not the pro.

rui no onna

macrumors 604
Oct 25, 2013
7th isn’t that old, will be awhile for the 8th and it won’t have anywhere near a A13, we are talking budget iPads here not the pro.
Sure 7th gen was just released.

However, OP already has A9/2GB on his 5th gen. Moving to A10/3GB on the 7th gen isn't really a huge leap in performance to make it worth the cost.

@Che Castro
I personally wouldn't do it for performance reasons alone but if you need to upgrade storage or switch from Wi-Fi to LTE or want Apple Pencil or Apple Smart Keyboard support, then sure.

brucemr

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2019
I upgraded from 5th to 7th gen.

Experienced very frequent Safari web page refreshes (“a problem has occurred and...”). This was happening only on certain websites that update a large amount of data more or less continuously (example golf tournament leaderboards). Happened even with only 2 safari tabs open (and no other apps running). Clearing Safari history or restarting iPad stopped it only temporarily (20-30 minutes), then it would start doing it again.

This was happending on both iOS 12 and 13.

The problem totally went away with Gen 7 iPad. I attribute that likely to RAM increase from 2 to 3GB. Re A9 to A10, Gen 7 seems a tiny bit snappier, but is hard to tell really.