Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phas3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
I have the 2.4ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 13" Mid 2010 Macbook Pro w/ 4gb Ram. I'm thinking of selling it and getting the new 13" Macbook Pros

I'll be doing mostly PS5 and uploading images from my DSLR, is it worth the upgrade?

Or

should I just go with upgrading my ram and get an SSD?

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
I would save your money and go with option 'B' that is, upgrade your RAM and get an SSD.

AM

Nov 28, 2010
located
Do you make money with that machine?
I use a 2009 MBP (17") and upgraded the RAM to 6GB (more will follow) and an SSD and it is quite a snappy machine in PS CS5 with 12MP RAW photos. An ix-core MBP will be faster in calculating effects, thus if you do a lot of effects work that take five seconds on your current MBP, they will take two to three seconds on a newer MBP.

phas3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
Do you make money with that machine?
I use a 2009 MBP (17") and upgraded the RAM to 6GB (more will follow) and an SSD and it is quite a snappy machine in PS CS5 with 12MP RAW photos. An ix-core MBP will be faster in calculating effects, thus if you do a lot of effects work that take five seconds on your current MBP, they will take two to three seconds on a newer MBP.

lol no I don't make money on this system, seems like the better option is B. I've already got a 64gb SATIII SSD, would that be enough for PS5 as well as lightroom?

Nov 28, 2010
located
lol no I don't make money on this system, seems like the better option is B. I've already got a 64gb SATIII SSD, would that be enough for PS5 as well as lightroom?

It will be enough for the applications, PS CS5 takes a bit more than 1GB, LR takes about 100MB away.
But depending on the resolution and format (RAW or other) you take your photos in, and the amount of photos you take, 64GB might not be enough, unless you plan to use an external FW800 or USB 2.0 HDD.

phas3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
It will be enough for the applications, PS CS5 takes a bit more than 1GB, LR takes about 100MB away.
But depending on the resolution and format (RAW or other) you take your photos in, and the amount of photos you take, 64GB might not be enough, unless you plan to use an external FW800 or USB 2.0 HDD.

to best utilize the ssd the programs must be installed on the SSD as well as putting the pictures on the SSD? or can the pictures be put in an external HDD?

phas3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
what about using a display will my macbook run sluggish because the display will be higher in resolution and the GPU will have to work more?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
phas3 said:
to best utilize the ssd the programs must be installed on the SSD as well as putting the pictures on the SSD? or can the pictures be put in an external HDD?
You can keep the photos on a hard drive without much of an impact on performance.
what about using a display will my macbook run sluggish because the display will be higher in resolution and the GPU will have to work more?
No.

do the new macbook pros have sata 6 and usb 3.0?

Yes, no.

PS. You could've just edited your post instead of posting 3 in a row.

phas3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
You can keep the photos on a hard drive without much of an impact on performance.

No.

Yes, no.

PS. You could've just edited your post instead of posting 3 in a row.

yeah I could've just edited, but that would do me no good as it doesn't bring the thread up to the front page. get me?

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
yeah I could've just edited, but that would do me no good as it doesn't bring the thread up to the front page. get me?
except it's against the rules...

4. Sequential posts. Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time.

get me?

phas3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
except it's against the rules...

get me?

"Sequential posts. Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time."

what's a short period of time, the first two where 5 hours from each other and the third one was 9 days after the first two. So where did the 4th rule apply to that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.