Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimmy Guphanti

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Hi,

I just bought the new 15" top of the line retina macbook pro, and I upgraded the SSD to 1TB, but did not completely max it out and go for the 2.8 GHz over the 2.5 GHz. I have been using it for a couple of days, and am largely satisfied with it, but there is that part of me that thinks it would be just a little faster with the 2.8. I do a lot of work with Final Cut Pro and Photoshop rendering videos and such. Say I'm exporting a video that right now took 2.5 minutes to render. What would the difference be with the 2.8 GHz upgrade? Is it worth returning and going for it or should I save $180?

Cuniac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2013
Phoenix
Hi,

I just bought the new 15" top of the line retina macbook pro, and I upgraded the SSD to 1TB, but did not completely max it out and go for the 2.8 GHz over the 2.5 GHz. I have been using it for a couple of days, and am largely satisfied with it, but there is that part of me that thinks it would be just a little faster with the 2.8. I do a lot of work with Final Cut Pro and Photoshop rendering videos and such. Say I'm exporting a video that right now took 2.5 minutes to render. What would the difference be with the 2.8 GHz upgrade? Is it worth returning and going for it or should I save $180?

I would get it lol. Realistically its not going to be a huge jump. But when you've paid that much for the computer, what's another 180.. Personally I would get it.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Hi,

You're right, but the key words are "just a little." ;) At best, 10%, probably not enough to notice, really...don't worry, be happy - you have a powerhouse, enjoy it and don't fret. :)

Jimmy Guphanti

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
You're right, but the key words are "just a little." ;) Probably not enough to notice, really...don't worry, be happy - you have a powerhouse, enjoy it and don't fret. :)

Yeah, I kind of agree. Plus returning it would mean driving an hour north and back and again to pick up the new one to save sales tax.

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
I bought the 2.8GHz version without the discrete GPU for $2299 and I'm happy with my choice.

Ovedius

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Norway
I'd say relax.
I'm currently waiting for the same machine you have.

Looking at the benchmarks from CPU Boss:
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4870HQ-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4770HQ
You're seeing a tiny performance difference far below 10% between the 4770 and the 4870.

I have no regrets about saving a couple of bucks on the CPU.
The way I see it, the money I saved there can go to a really nice leather briefcase from Saddleback ;)
That's how saving works, right? :rolleyes:

Cuniac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2013
Phoenix
Its totally up to you, but the "what if" would eat me alive lol. plus I know people are saying its only 10%, but when its already a powerhouse, +10% of that power house is seems big enough for me. I may be the worst person to be saying this though... I had super OCD with electronic purchases... I stated wanting to buy a $650 use MBA and I bought the maxed out 15in pro.... :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.